TSC troy bilt chipper

/ TSC troy bilt chipper #1  

irwin

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541
My SIL ordered a troy bilt chipper (6.5 hp) for us (really for my wife) from TSC. We have many small piles of branches , the wife wanted to be able to make mulch . I had hoped to get something larger , but free is free. Now the question, any problems with this equiptment I need to know about? Is it next to useless or will this help us to clean up the brush, and make some mulch? I don't mind a little work, don't mind a burn pipe, just hoping it'll be a usefull addition.

Anyone own one?

/ TSC troy bilt chipper
Just thought I'd bump this up, and see if anyone has used one.

Also in previous post I meant "burn pile" not burn pipe...

/ TSC troy bilt chipper #3  
I've got the depot cheapo MTD 10hp version. It does work well for what it was intended. Mine will chip up to 3", and it will do it. Sharpening the blades makes it almost self-feed. Anything bigger than 3" goes in the wood stove.

/ TSC troy bilt chipper
shvl73 said:
I've got the depot cheapo MTD 10hp version. It does work well for what it was intended. Mine will chip up to 3", and it will do it. Sharpening the blades makes it almost self-feed. Anything bigger than 3" goes in the wood stove.

Thanks Torin, well your chipper is a bit bigger (3") this one is listed as 2". It appears I will have to use it, and post my opinion. I know it's small for the horsepower junkies here (myself included) . Some tools are so inadequate they make the job harder to do, hope this will be a help.
@$600.00 I want my sister-in-law to be satisfied her gift is worth it, The wife's family are jewels and her older sister has been great to us, several times she drove up (45 miles) and spend the day with a hammer and saw, picking rocks, pushing a wheel barrow, ..etc, etc, etc:

/ TSC troy bilt chipper #5  
A 6.5 hp chipper/shredder is on the small side. I had an 8 hp Troy Bilt chipper/shredder, and I'd bog it down plenty of times and had to turn or replace the shredder hammers numerous times (and a BIG job). It would do up to maybe 2 1/2", probably not much bigger than 2". Didn't feed leaves too well. I now have a McKissic that runs off the PTO of my 18.5 hp tractor that takes up to 3". I've NEVER bogged it down. It takes leaves quite nicely. So far (nearly 3 years), the hammers are still sharp, and the spacers haven't gotten deformed like they did on the Troy Bilt. I've sharpened the chipper blade about 3 or 4 times.

Ralph