Trying my hand at haying!

/ Trying my hand at haying! #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
Well, this thread goes right along with the last couple threads about haying except I have a couple questions cause I have never cut baled or raked a single wind row of hay. Let me start by telling you what equipment I have then I will follow by my questions. I have a Jd 2155 tractor, 1209 haybine and a borrorwed rake. I have 3 acres of hay(A mix I have bout at tsc which is a blend of clover, alfalfa, orchard grass) just your basic pasture mix. I have just planted another 3 acres with timothy and orchard gras with a splash of alfalfa. Question: How long of a dry spell do I need to cut, rake and bale without a tedder? Estimation of course Just trying to plan when I can cut because we seem to begetting rain every 2 days messing up all plans to bale. Question2: If I dont have a tedder and have a 3pt rake can I raise the rake and move the hay around like a tedder? question 3: I have heard all kinds of ways to tell if the hay is dry enough to bale: is their a good rule of thumb? thanks Bryan By the way, I am in NW OHIO and it is rainning right now!:D

/ Trying my hand at haying! #2  
Making hay without a tedder this year would be a difficult task. I'd say you'll need at least three hot dry days if not four. There are guys that claim they can get hay dry after it has had rain on it with a rake, but I have not had much success. I don't know how I'd get by without my tedder.

/ Trying my hand at haying! #3  
Start when the weaher forecast promises 4 days of rain free 80+ degrees temps. Cut a 1/2 acre or so, starting with an outside row cut counter clockwise. Then start cutting the next row inside in a clockwise manner. Set the mower to auto windrow This lets you see how the cutting is going. The rolls on the mower should be set to crush the hay without destroying it. After day 2, use the rake to gently roll the windrow over 3 feet or so. You might want to do this more than once. Lastly, try merging two windrows into 1 to be ready for baling. Next, get the bale readt to roack and roll. Go slow, keep the rpm up to full 540. Use whatever gear you need to get a walking speed to feed the baler. Check the heft and length of the bales. Also choose the windrows you will be running so that you don't have to dodge the bales when circling the field. I recommend doing an acre or two just to get the feel of the equipment.

/ Trying my hand at haying! #4  
BryanM said:
W 3: I have heard all kinds of ways to tell if the hay is dry enough to bale: is their a good rule of thumb? thanks Bryan By the way, I am in NW OHIO and it is rainning right now!:D

I am convinced that experience will tell you when the hay is dry enough. My guy says - when there is dust all around the baler while it is running - it is right. Doesn't seem very scientific to me, but oh well.

I just bought a couple moisture testers:

John Deere SW16136 handheld tester for moisture and temperature. 18" probe.

John Deere SW07350 - Baler mounted tester

Why two testers? I have been told that the baler ones take a little while to get accurate (dirty, etc). Also, you don't want to bale up a bale and find out it sucks. So, one to test before and the finished bale.

Baler mounted one for when I am baling into the evening, I can watch it as it bales. When the dew comes in - the moisture level will come up and I know it is time to stop.

I helped bale hay as a kid, but I was being told what to do. Now that I am making the calls, I need more tools until I enough experience. I figure I spent all this money on equipment, fertilizer, etc. A couple mositure testers is a rounding error.

D.

/ Trying my hand at haying!
Another question : How does a tedder combination rake work are they worth looking into?

/ Trying my hand at haying! #6  
I have a Kuhn combo rake: You swing the cross beam and pull levers on the gearbox to rake or tedder. Works very well. I still like my NH56 better because it makes narrower & taller windrows without digging into the ground.

But: if the hay gets rained on, the 1 machine does 2 jobs and the hay has always been saved and saleable.

/ Trying my hand at haying! #7  
i'm not too sure about those tedder/rake combos i hear good things and bad things. you don't necessarily need a tedder but they help w/ the dry down process, but remember that if used too much they can knock off all the good leaves and nutritous part of the grasses. if i was just starting out like yourself i would def. take it slow cut a little at a time say if you had a 10ac field cut about 1/4 of it maybe say 6 swaths around. start by cutting in a clock wise direction driving on what would be the outside swath or row then cut your way inward towards the center of the field. after you've gone around and cut as much as you planned go back and cut the outside row that you drove over previously in a counter clock wise direction, take it slow on the outside row as most mowers unless you have a center piviot don't really like to cut in the counter clock wise direction. then let it dry out for about 2-3 days depending on conditions, if you don't have a tedder i would try to set the swath pattern ,on the mower if it can be done, to its fullest meaning when you cut and it goes through the conditioner it spits the swath out wide instead of a narrow tight swath, that will aid in your dry down. if you have a tedder i would recommend using it maybe 1 time per day usually after any dew has lifted say early afternoon. as for harvesting or baling make sure it dried to a good moisture content, i read in a farming book about hay production that when baled hay should look like the color of a nice crisp dollar bill in your pocket and it should smell similar to the day it was cut. i personally like to walk the field b4 raking/baling and pick up my hay and smell it and get a good feel of it to make sure its dried well. don't worry if you get a few heavy or damp feeling bales as this will happen from time to time esp on the outside windrow more so when it may be shaded by trees. as for raking, depending on your rake i have a nh55 so i will explain what i do, i rake the 1st time around pushing the hay towards the inside of the field when i get back to my starting point i turn around and go the opposite way pushing hay outside, and from then on keep going the same way until completed. if its windy when raking and then baling be prepared to have some blown windrows this makes baling a bit tough. as for baling set your initial bale tension and start on the 2n'd row in going clockwise after you tie a few bales say 2-3 stop and give them a check for tightness and weight, i personally like to keep them about 40-45 lbs on my jd 24t some other people i work for run them a bit larger depends on personal preference, smaller is easier to carry when feeding animals and picking up off the field if you don't have a wagon direct loading from the baler. everyone and every geographic area of our country has their own way of doing hay, so just find a niche that suits you well and go from there. good luck jim