Troy Pony

/ Troy Pony
Looks like your Troy Bilt is in very good hands.
Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of the control rod for me? Both at the bottom attached to the lever as well as the at the control panel? I got a few ideas.

I shortened the bars and refit them and they are very much too short/low. I was able to run a row where I wanted it and raised the grade with 30 year old compost.
I'll be fixing that low bar problem when Metal Depot delivers and there is plenty of throttle cable to do just about anything. The bars themselves are rock solid.

/ Troy Pony #13  
My unit is about a 1993 model that has a spring loaded set of control bars that have to be held down for the unit to move forward as a safety measure. As I recall, the earlier 1980s versions had a control that was pushed in to lock in forward travel until it was pulled back out. The reverse was to pull the handle out and hold it. I don't think my forward controls are the same as yours would have been.

The reverse arm is 5/16 rod that measures 47 5/8 from the outside of the pivot end to the outside of the control handle end. The control handle end is 3 5/8 long. The length of the end that goes through the pivot is 1 1/2 inches.

I didn't measure the forward control assembly because I think your forward control is different. On yours, I think there was either a triangular shaped (roughly speaking) locking mechanism at the top or at the bottom near the transmission control arm. When you pushed the control arm, it caused this mechanism to pivot and then it locked in place until you manually pulled it back out as I recall.

If you could post another couple of pictures of the control leveler assembly and your handlebars, it might stir some further recollections other than I remember that I liked the forward/reverse control on the older ones a lot more than my newer one.

edit: mustie1 has a youtube video of the earlier Pony model that I was thinking of that shows the older transmission control assembly pretty well near the end of his video. But after watching it, now I'm wondering if your model is more similar to mine? What does your handlebar assembly look like?

1 reverse lever.JPG2. reverse pivot.JPG3 handlebars.JPG4 forward pivot.JPG

Last edited:
   / Troy Pony #14  
My 'Horse' went to pasture. I replaced it with a Cub with reversible tines. Keep my little 'Tuffy around for cultivating chores.

/ Troy Pony
My unit is about a 1993 model that has a spring loaded set of control bars that have to be held down for the unit to move forward as a safety measure. As I recall, the earlier 1980s versions had a control that was pushed in to lock in forward travel until it was pulled back out. The reverse was to pull the handle out and hold it. I don't think my forward controls are the same as yours would have been.

The reverse arm is 5/16 rod that measures 47 5/8 from the outside of the pivot end to the outside of the control handle end. The control handle end is 3 5/8 long. The length of the end that goes through the pivot is 1 1/2 inches.

I didn't measure the forward control assembly because I think your forward control is different. On yours, I think there was either a triangular shaped (roughly speaking) locking mechanism at the top or at the bottom near the transmission control arm. When you pushed the control arm, it caused this mechanism to pivot and then it locked in place until you manually pulled it back out as I recall.

If you could post another couple of pictures of the control leveler assembly and your handlebars, it might stir some further recollections other than I remember that I liked the forward/reverse control on the older ones a lot more than my newer one.

edit: mustie1 has a youtube video of the earlier Pony model that I was thinking of that shows the older transmission control assembly pretty well near the end of his video. But after watching it, now I'm wondering if your model is more similar to mine? What does your handlebar assembly look like?

View attachment 751257View attachment 751258View attachment 751259View attachment 751260
Thank you. That answers a few questions. There are obviously many missing parts. I’ll cobble something together judging by the amount of parts that are missing from under the console.

/ Troy Pony #16  
I have an old Troy Built Pony that is in really nice shape from being garaged but the handle bar is broken and some parts are missing for it. Ser# is S0233468

Before I go reinventing the wheel does anyone know of a good source for parts?
Have you tried these people.