Trailer light connection for TC40D

/ Trailer light connection for TC40D #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I have a set of warning/tail lights that I installed on my hay rack that I use for hauling wood and the occasional hayride. When I had my JD 4400 I purchased the 7 pin connector that connects into the wiring harness in the back of the tractor. The wires are already there, they are easy to get to and the installation was easy.

I kept the 7 pin female outlet when I traded for the TC40D and would like to install it on this tractor but I would prefer not to splice into the existing warning/tail light wiring.

My dealer couldn't find anything from New Holland so does anyone know where I could get a connector that would "T" into wiring harness by the ROPS? The harness snaps together and if there was a way of tapping into the wiring at that point it would be a slick way of doing it. It would also be easy to remove when I trade tractors.

/ Trailer light connection for TC40D #2  
Normally the connector supplying the current is a female connector, so I'm working on that premise when I describe how I would "T" into the line. Some would say my "T" is actually a "Y". Buy two male connectors and two female connectors like the ones where your tractor's tail lights attach. Into one male, install the wires coming from your trailer adapter, then set it aside. On the other male, solder or splice in two wires to every active pin. At the end of one set of wires, put a female connector and do the same to the other set. You now have a removable "Y" connector and you can plug your normal tail light into it and plug in your adapter cable when needed.

I know it's a lot of wiring and work, but you'll probably spend less effort and frustration doing it that way than trying to find a suitable exact-match "T" connector.