Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500?

/ Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500? #1  

GemBilt

Tractor
Case 530, JD 300 Loader/Backhoe
I'm in the market for a new tractor and have pretty much decided on a Mahindra 00 series and with the incentives, I'll probably go for the 6500 since it can do all the work of the old Case 530, plus take a lot of jobs from the Ford 5000 we have.
That said, my question is: Do you think I'll get anything from a Mahindra dealer for my old Case 530, or be better off trying to sell it myself, or run it through an auction?
It runs, but has some warts: 3 pt hitch is slow, and generator is dead, but it's otherwise in usable condition, but I'd expect a dealer to be in a better position to fix and sell it for a good price than me to sell like it is. If it was fixed, I'd probably not be looking for a new tractor so fixing it before selling it is a non-starter. The main reason I'm trading is lack of decent repair shops who will work on an old tractor.
With cars, I just pretty much automatically expect them to at least make a decent trade-in offer, but since none of my local Mahindra dealers ever appear to have anything on the lot but new Mahindras, it leads me to think I'd be wasting our time even talking about it.
Jim

/ Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500? #2  
In my opinion, you will be best off selling it on your own. We very rarely trade tractors here at our dealership. There are a few reasons for this......in the past we have had some people want to trade in their old tractor for a new Mahindra and they got angry that we wouldn't give them retail price for their used tractor.......we also have a limited amount of room on our lot for equipment and most of the time we don't have the spare room for used units on our lot.........we also want to stand behind all the products we sell to the customer, and a lot of times we don't have the manpower or time to go through used units and make sure everything is working, we also want to be able to supply you parts for anything you buy from us and some tractors people have wanted to trade-in in the past have been units that are difficult to get parts for........also money is an issue, a lot of dealers don't have the spare money lying around to invest into used units, all new units are on floorplan therefore the dealer isn't actually out of pocket any money up front.......and lastly it's easier to sell a new tractor with a 3 year warranty and excellent low interest financing than it is a used tractor with no warranty.

It just tends to get into sticky situations sometimes because people always aren't as honest and upfront about issues with their old tractor as you are.

sorry for the long run on sentence

/ Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500? #3  
I find in my area every customer wants a rock bottom discounted price on the new Mahindra, and full retail for their trade and that just doesn't add up for me. I haven't taken a trade in a couple of years.

/ Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500? #4  
Many dealers do take trade-in's as long as a fair price can be reached for both parties. We do take trades on new tractors but one thing that I tell everyone the better it looks and runs the better for everone. A used tractor in our lot is going to be new to someone!

/ Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500? #5  
GemBilt said:
I'm in the market for a new tractor and have pretty much decided on a Mahindra 00 series and with the incentives, I'll probably go for the 6500 since it can do all the work of the old Case 530, plus take a lot of jobs from the Ford 5000 we have.
That said, my question is: Do you think I'll get anything from a Mahindra dealer for my old Case 530, or be better off trying to sell it myself, or run it through an auction?
It runs, but has some warts: 3 pt hitch is slow, and generator is dead, but it's otherwise in usable condition, but I'd expect a dealer to be in a better position to fix and sell it for a good price than me to sell like it is. If it was fixed, I'd probably not be looking for a new tractor so fixing it before selling it is a non-starter. The main reason I'm trading is lack of decent repair shops who will work on an old tractor.
With cars, I just pretty much automatically expect them to at least make a decent trade-in offer, but since none of my local Mahindra dealers ever appear to have anything on the lot but new Mahindras, it leads me to think I'd be wasting our time even talking about it.
Jim

That old 530 was produced from 1960-69 and at best the average trade-in value is around $1000. That's for a clean tractor and your's isn't running. I'd sell it myself for whatever you can get and not complicate the deal on your new Mahindra. BTW: my rule of thumb is to pay no more than $700 for a utility tractor that isn't running.

I bought a new Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL in March. Traded a 2005 Kubota B7510HST/LA302 FEL as part of the deal. It makes sense to dealer- trade a 3 year old tractor; a 40 year old tractor?--probably not.

In July06 I bought a 1964 MF-135 diesel from a guy who wanted to trade it on a new 35 hp Branson with FEL, but couldn't get a good price on the 135 from the dealer. My check became his down payment on the Branson.

/ Trade in old Case 530 for new Mahindra 6500? #6  
I sold a new Mahindra 4025 today and I traded a running A/C WD for $515.00.
I will give $500-$1000 for Ford 8N's. I mark them up $100-$500 and flip them within a week.
Dealers need to buy old iron cheap and sell it cheap or there Dealer ship starts looking like a tractor Junk Yard