Tractor fluid- Again- What lube to use in a non-hydro system? (Shuttle/gear drive)

/ Tractor fluid- Again- What lube to use in a non-hydro system? (Shuttle/gear drive) #1  

OldTrix

Tractor
none
I was checking the levels on my 2655 Gear model tractor, and noticed the fluid level was off the stick in the rear axle. The tractor has 300 hrs on it, so not quite ready for a fluid swap, but I wanted to top it off. Owner's manual references "Mahindra Universal Tractor Fluid" then says it's 80W/90 EP GL-4. 80/90 GL-4 is a gear lube spec, but the fluid is obviously thinner than that.

No help reading labels at Tractor Supply, so I popped down to the local dealer this morning to ask them. They tell me the transmission/rear axle take UTF, but the front axle takes the gear lube. Has anyone else heard of this? I've read through dozens of threads on this here, and have concluded the UTF is likely the right choice on the main drive unit, but the different lube up front is a new wrinkle.

Mahindra's documentation seems almost to intentionally obfuscate what's needed here. I ended up with 5 guys in the shop coming out, trying to make sense of their documentation, and they all concluded UTF in the back, gear oil up front. Does anyone else have similar experience, or have a 2600 series gear model that could help shed some light?

/ Tractor fluid- Again- What lube to use in a non-hydro system? (Shuttle/gear drive) #2  
That is what I'd go with.

/ Tractor fluid- Again- What lube to use in a non-hydro system? (Shuttle/gear drive) #3  
You can use either gear lube or UTF in the front axle but would only use UTF in the rear if it is also the reservoir for your hydraulics.