Towing a Log Splitter (NY)

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY)
An aside.....

If you do tow a splitter, Turn off the fuel cock!

else the contents of the fuel tank will end up in the crank case.

Float bowl jitters......
Good Call! Should always shut the fuel off!

Luckily for me, my splitter, when you shut off the engine, it automatically turns off the fuel at the same time.
That kind of auto-shutoff fancy stuff i`m not use to. I`ve always turned the gas off when i`m done using it. Now i have no worries of it.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #22  
You shouldn't get a ticket for towing a log splitter in your state. It does not require a license plate or lights . It does require a slow moving vehicle orange triangle.( if you don't have the triangle, someone hits you your liable, if you have one and they hit you, they are liable) Towing on a highway or freeway can be an issue if you cannot maintain the minimum speed limit. Depending on the width of the axle, type of tires and wheel bearings usually limits towing speed to 45 mph or less. Here in the California valley there are towed implements and tractors on the highways between farms pretty often. I just towed a log splitter 20 miles. 48" wide axle with 12" highway rated tires and wheels/bearings. it has no suspension, 50 mph was as fast as I felt comfortable towing it.

Last edited:
   / Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #23  
A log splitter doesn’t tow very good if I was going log distance I’d probably do something else but I’ve towed mine occasionally on short trips without issue.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #24  
You shouldn't get a ticket for towing a log splitter in your state. It does not require a license plate or lights . It does require a slow moving vehicle orange triangle.( if you don't have the triangle, someone hits you your liable, if you have one and they hit you, they are liable) Towing on a highway or freeway can be an issue if you cannot maintain the minimum speed limit. Depending on the width of the axle, type of tires and wheel bearings usually limits towing speed to 45 mph or less. Here in the California valley there are towed implements and tractors on the highways between farms pretty often. I just towed a log splitter 20 miles. 48" wide axle with 12" highway rated tires and wheels/bearings. it has no suspension, 50 mph was as fast as I felt comfortable towing it.
NO, do NOT use a SMV triangle.
Uses other then on vehicles desighned to be slow moving vehicles is illegal.
Depending on the state the design limit is usually 25 or 36 mph.

1694796054908.png

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #25  
If it's under a certain length, narrower than your vehicle, it shouldn't need license plates or lights. Show me a brick mason that has the mortar mixer licensed. And I'm not from Missouri.
Hey, I'm from Missouri and I resemble that remark. Whats wrong with Missouri?
Don't answer that,I don't want to know.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #26  
I can imagine a couple "downers". It's a small unit - without lights, reflectors, etc - pretty dangerous item to be towing down any highway. And then there are the legal requirements.
Most firewood splitters are narrow enough that the vehicle lights should be visible around them.

One can purchase magnetic lights if one wishes.

Oregon allows any trailer with a "loaded weight" less than 1,800 lbs to be unlicensed, but it varies by state.

If you're talking about any modern box store log splitter with little Mickey Mouse wheels and tires labled "45 mph maximum speed",

I'm not sure what tires you're referring to. If it has wheelbarrow tires on it, then it is just for pulling around the yard.

I have a little "Haulin" utility trailer that came with 5.70 x 8 tires. That thing is a BEAST. Although, I have had to do a couple of upgrades over the years. I've towed it coast to coast.

My 06 Silverado 2WD has a basic OEM rear bumper. I have no trailer light hook-up`s on this truck. So even renting a trailer wouldn`t have done me any good either. The rear bumper has a hole in it for a ball, but thats all it has. I had to buy eye bolts and install them in the bumper just so i had something to hook the safety chains to it.
A good hitch and electrical connection would be a worthwhile investment for the next time you wish to tow something.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #27  
I'm not sure what tires you're referring to. If it has wheelbarrow tires on it, then it is just for pulling around the yard.
I've never seen those. Most I've seen are clearly labeled with a maximum speed, most often 45 mph.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #28  
aside from highway legalities, i would not recommend towing a log splitter, i always load it on my trailer for transport. how many users have a spare tire for a log splitter? if you have to abandon it on the road, it will soon be gone. plus i don't trust those small barbie wheel bearings. regards

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #29  
i would not recommend towing a log splitter, i always load it on my trailer for transport.

I've towed mine locally, meaning on roads of 35-45 mph and within easy access of friends and family. But if going any distance, or over roads where I don't want to have to keep speed low, I just strap it to my trailer.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #30  
I don't actually use a power splitter. All of my splitting has been by hand. a neighbor rents one once a year. And the rental always starts and works well. And tows well.

I looked at a splitter at the local building supply store yesterday. I didn't see anything with a speed recommendation, but the online manual listed 45 MPH.

It had 4.80-8 tires 4P.R 62M Load Range B Max load 590 lbs at 60 PSI.

No labels on the tires listed a speed limit.

That is a common utility trailer tire that should be fine for highway speeds. As I mentioned earlier my small utility trailer has the next size up, 5.70-8 tires, which I upgraded to Load Range D, 1075 lbs each tire, and I've towed the trailer coast to coast. The biggest problem was that it was invisible when towing behind a rental truck.

Now, that splitter had an odd integrated hub in the in the rim. So, any tire maintenance means taking the whole wheel and hub off. Still, hopefully the rim/hub is OK.

One of the notes I saw on the internet:
If you tow it to any real distance at any real speed (over 20 MPH) it probably would not hurt to swap the wheels out for a 4x4 hub and use wider tires. You really should not tow any log splitter like this over 35 MPH and go SLOW around corners so you do not flip them.

It may be that it isn't the tires or the hubs that is the limitation. Rather the trailer may be tall, narrow, and top heavy. So emergency braking, or skidding around a sharp corner could cause unpredictable results. In fact, shorter tires may be a benefit.

At a weight around 600 lbs, most vehicles should be able to stop it without trailer brakes.