tow behind rototiller

/ tow behind rototiller #1  

dperry77

I am looking at a used 5 hp. craftsman 36 inch tow behind rototiller. I would like to redo my back yard. I would like to know if this is a good choice or if I am going to have problems? I have a 18 hp. MTD lawn tractor, will that work?

/ tow behind rototiller #2  
I think the Craftsman rototiller has a pin type hitch that fits on the back of every lawn tractor. Agri-Fab did make Craftsmans pull behind rototillers. Your 18hp MTD should have no problems. How big of an area do you want to till up for your back yard? Is there a lot of grass, (sod), still on top of the ground? If so, you'll have to make 3 or 4 passes over the grass to get down to the soil. How old is the tiller? Check to see how worn the tines are on the tiller. The more the tines are worn, the harder it will be to till your yard.

You might want to have someone with a garden tractor and moldboard plow turn the ground over for you first. Then you could use your tiller on it. If the tines are worn, the tiller wouldn't have as much trouble tilling up the plowed ground. I've been through this same process once before myself. That's why I keep asking to the condition of the tiller and the tines.

arthurb,

/ tow behind rototiller #3  
A 5 horse 36" tiller? I doubt you'll be happy with the results. I had an 8 horse 20" walk behind that was marginal at best in new ground. Even with my 6' tiller behind a 40 horse tractor I need to make a slow first pass if the sod has not been broken. How big of an area do you need tilled? If it's less than an acre, hire it out. I bet you can have the job done for much less than the cost of this used attachment.

/ tow behind rototiller #4  
I agree with JJT.