TNT Leaking Down

/ TNT Leaking Down #1  

Silver_Knight

Silver Member
My new TNT leaks down over a few hours while sitting. The box blade is always slanted on the right side after sitting a few hours. Is this normal? I usually lower it all the way when done but noticed it when I forgot and I have left it up a few time to see if it would still do it.

/ TNT Leaking Down #2  
Its normal if you don't have pilot operated check valves on your top and tilt cylinders.

/ TNT Leaking Down #3  
Silver_Knight said:
My new TNT leaks down over a few hours while sitting. The box blade is always slanted on the right side after sitting a few hours. Is this normal? I usually lower it all the way when done but noticed it when I forgot and I have left it up a few time to see if it would still do it.

If your cylinder has a DPOCV as Ductape described and still leaks down, that's evidence of internal seal leak. It could be a new cylinder with seals not completely seated. Either way, I would not worry about it because the tilt cylinder having slow leakdown is not critical in a TNT circuit because, after all, the 3PH floats. As soon as your boxblade touches the ground on the low side, the arm will move up on that side if you lower the box more. It is far more critical to have a DPOCV on the toplink than a tilt cylinder.

/ TNT Leaking Down #4  
jinman said:
If your cylinder has a DPOCV as Ductape described and still leaks down, that's evidence of internal seal leak. It could be a new cylinder with seals not completely seated. Either way, I would not worry about it because the tilt cylinder having slow leakdown is not critical in a TNT circuit because, after all, the 3PH floats. As soon as your boxblade touches the ground on the low side, the arm will move up on that side if you lower the box more. It is far more critical to have a DPOCV on the toplink than a tilt cylinder.

Jim; I can't belive you just said that....Do you have the side link cylinder on your tractor?
If I have my side link cylinder on and let it leak down and try to use my BB it will dig like crazy on the lower side, the arms don't level themselves out.

He probably doesn't have the check valves, I don't have the check valves and the side link cylinder leaks down fairly quickly, ( I don't install it unless needed) the top link takes a lot longer.

/ TNT Leaking Down #5  
wushaw said:
Jim; I can't belive you just said that....Do you have the side link cylinder on your tractor?
If I have my side link cylinder on and let it leak down and try to use my BB it will dig like crazy on the lower side, the arms don't level themselves out.

He probably doesn't have the check valves, I don't have the check valves and the side link cylinder leaks down fairly quickly, ( I don't install it unless needed) the top link takes a lot longer.

Al, I do have a tilt cylinder on my tractor. It will leak down very slowly, but mine leaks maybe 1/4" in an hour, so in use it is almost undetectible. What I have noticed about this cylinder and my toplink cylinder before I got one with a DPOCV, was that the cylinders are "spongy" under load. My toplink had almost 1" of rod movement because I had 1/2" hoses and they would balloon under high pressure. My tilt cylinder is not that bad because I have high quality 1/4" hoses that have very little ballooning. Even so, there is nothing as tight as that rock solid toplink that goes exactly where I put it and refuses to move because of the DPOCV.

With my current tilt cylinder, when I set the boxblade down on hard ground, the boxblade rotates from the angle it was in the air to more of a flat angle. This is due to the slight movement in the non-DPOCV tilt cylinder and largly due to the action of the 3PH. Since we don't have downpressure on a 3PH, it floats as soon as the boxblade touches the ground enough to support its weight. Of course, the side with the tilt extended digs more, but there is some flattening of the boxblade as shown in my attachment. I can reproduce this illustration with a photo if you'd like to see what I mean. The same effect would be seen if you only had the manual tilt on the 3PH. Some flattening will occur.

So what I'm saying is that if you have a tilt cylinder that has a minor leakdown problem, it's really not a problem at all in use. A simple correction on the remote lever will correct any leakdown and if you lower your box until the low side just begins to cut, you get the most benefit of the tilt. If you just drop the box all the way down with the 3PH lever, it will flatten some and you won't cut as sloping a grade as you would with it partially raised by the 3PH.

I probably didn't say all this very well in my previous post.:)

Attachments

• box-tilt.jpg
    box-tilt.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 196
   / TNT Leaking Down #6  
I see what your talking about and why it does what it does, I have the 1/4" lines with no ballooning on them.
My remotes are junk and one is bad, one bypasses so fast I can't get 100yds before it is completely extended on the top link.
I will fix it someday with some new Prince valves.

I don't keep my side link actuator on the tractor since I don't have the need for it most of the time.