Tn65 shifter stuck.

/ Tn65 shifter stuck. #1  

2tractors

Tractor
35 Massey
I'm new here and recently worked on a friend's tn65 New Holland with the forward and reverse on the left. It would not move into gear per the instructions which say to first move to the left before going forward or backward with shifter. I took sheet metal away and greased a component which allowed it to shift for a few days before failing again. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Tn65 shifter stuck.
I guess no one on this NH forum knows the answer or I didn't explain it well enough, guess I'll try on yesterday's tractor forum.

/ Tn65 shifter stuck. #3  
Not sure what you are fishing for? Sounds to me like lack of proper greasing contributed to the issue.

/ Tn65 shifter stuck. #4  
I guess no one on this NH forum knows the answer or I didn't explain it well enough, guess I'll try on yesterday's tractor forum.
I would suspect the problem is a rusted pivot joint. I have seen it many times. In fact both shifters are prone to it in this part of the country. It's no fun to get to it, and often I have remove the entire assembly, then heat the joint to break it loose. The joint I'm referring to is where the lever (item 5) pivots on the stub shaft below the hub (item 2) on the parts diagram.

/ Tn65 shifter stuck.
Thanks for the reply and the parts breakdown. The pivot is where I cleaned both ends and regreased. I don't remember seeing the clamp. There's a plate where the shifter goes into the transmission that I'm tempted to remove to find the culprit but am afraid with not knowing the internals.