Time to split

/ Time to split #1  

Buckit

Tractor
Zetor 5245
Hi all. I have an early 80’s 5245. When I got it 8 yrs ago I was down one rear brake. It has progressed to no brakes and a leak at the split. I don’t put a lot of hrs on it in a year but it’s time to split it and fix the brakes and replace the gasket. Anyone have to do this job? Going to try it in my shop with a mechanic friend. Just want to know what parts I should buy before we get started, what seals and gaskets will need to be replaced in the brakes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

/ Time to split #2  
Just curious, how is the clutch? Perfect time to replace it while you have it apart.

/ Time to split
Clutch seems fine. I don’t want to replace anything I don’t have to. Really just want the breaks to work and it to stop leaking so I can jump in and go again.

/ Time to split #4  
I have the same tractor.. You don't have to split it to do the brakes. Just remove the outer gear boxes.. Its a pain, but its doable with a couple handy guys. I would suggest a engine or ATV hoist to lift and or remove the outer gear boxes. I used a engine hoist.. When i did my brakes i changed both wheel cylinders, all shoes, and both master cylinders.. There is not mush else besides that.. The parking brake straps need to be completely backed off in order for the outer gear box to come out.

There's a place near Milton, Ontario that carries a LOT of parts for Zetor units on the shelf. Their prices are quite reasonable.. canadiantractorpartsdirect.com If they don't have it listed on the web site, that does not mean they don't have it. Just email or call them. I needed one of the levers on the center hump (to change between high and low gear) and they had one in stock..

/ Time to split
Thanks for that info. I sadly also have a leak at the split. One of my bolts may even be stripped. Splitting it may help fix that problem too.