Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed

/ Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed #1  

vptech2

Tractor
New Holland TC33D
I have 1999 TC33D with about 2100 hrs and I think the tilt steering strut (#86522914) is worn out. When the column is locked in the up position, the column will still move up and down. My question is: Do I need to spend the $120.00 for an OEM or will the $50.00 aftermarket one work just about as good. The steering is a bit hard to turn but I can’t bring myself into spending about $135.00 for a steering reservoir/filter and that not be the problem. The steering fluid was very dark and most likely never changed. I removed the reservoir and drained it for a couple days and installed new fluid but that didn’t seem to help. I don’t use this tractor often but the front end loader is a lifesaver!

/ Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed #2  
The $50 part will be quite adequate. You did not mention the number of hours on the tractor but that would be a determining factor as to filter replacement.

/ Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed
The $50 part will be quite adequate. You did not mention the number of hours on the tractor but that would be a determining factor as to filter replacement.
Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear!

/ Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed #4  
I now see your hours (da) and would suggest a filter change. Typically, should have been done around 700 hrs.

/ Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed #5  
I hope the aftermarket one works better for you than it is for me. I bought it a couple years ago and noticed immediately that it doesn't take much force to move it and is not like the oem. Still using it but not happy with it. This is the one I'm not happy with.

/ Tilt Steering Gas Strut Replacement Advice Needed
I was reading a few reviews on eBay about the aftermarket and most have the same complaint as yours. Ghee, I was hoping the one from Amazon would last a little longer. Now I’m a bit confused! Putting a clamp around the shaft to make it stationary might be my best bet but a new steering filter is definitely needed.

Last edited: