Thoughts on a gently used Maxxum 125 versus a Massey 5711D or larger 6713?

/ Thoughts on a gently used Maxxum 125 versus a Massey 5711D or larger 6713? #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
New Hollands around me have a terrible reputation for emissions problems in newer tractors. As part of the CNH parent, I'm unsure if any of that reputation applies to the CaseIH brand. I'm sure AGCO has it reputational issues too but, there really aren't enough AGCO products around me to really get any feedback good or bad from local users. Almost all of my Massey experience was before the AGCO merger and is not really relevant today.

For ~$80K I can get a 2015 CaseIH Maxxum 115 with a 16-speed "semi" powershift transmission, or a 2020 Massey 5711D which is the Dyna 4-speed transmission, or 2019 Massey 6713 with a weaker loader than the other two, all with ~800 hours, cabs, and loaders though the 6713 is a cheaper economy loader from Massey with less lift capacity. A similar condition Kubota M5-111 is available locally$54K but, seems like a lot less tractor for hay and cattle and I definitely don't see much weight on the rear for loader work for overall stability. Moving it between my two places though will be a lot easier because it weighs so much less and is overall smaller in every physical dimension.

For hay fields and cattle, which would you get? The CaseIH Maxxum is the largest so, it is compelling for that reason and the fact there is a reasonable dealer network where I live and around my property in Texas and where I grew up and have family in Oklahoma. The CaseIH 5711D though seems like it might be a better tractor for me being slightly smaller and easier to trailer move with a better transmission overall. Plus, I really like what I see with the new hydroformed steel loaders Massey and some other brands use. The Massey dealer network where I'm at in Texas and Oklahoma is present but, really weak overall IMHO.

What are the general thoughts on this vintage Maxxum versus one of the Massey options? Or, put another way, with $80K, what would you get and why?

TIA,
Sid

/ Thoughts on a gently used Maxxum 125 versus a Massey 5711D or larger 6713? #2  
When it comes to the point where you are where you have 2,3,4 tractors you are comparing and they are close in performance, I would probably go with the tractor that has the best dealer support, unless you can fix everything yourself.

You had mentioned your local dealers. Make sure you ignore the sales department and look closely at the parts & service departments. If you see a lot of activity and resources, that is the dealer I would be partial to. I’m not so much concerned with how many they sell (although that does reflect brand strength in the area) as much as how many service personnel they have. Some dealerships do a lot or repairing but not a lot of selling, but a salesman won’t be able to help you fix your tractor.

Far as the tractors go, see if any of them have closed center hydraulics. See which one has the most weight or weight that can be added. Look at engine displacement and loader lift capacity. Also look at drawbar HP, torque and PTO HP.

On the loader: How many round bales you want to pick up? 1 or 2 at a time? Anything under 100HP will struggle with 2 heavy round bales.

If I ad 80K for a haying tractor, I’d buy a larger frame tractor that was older and had more hours. I’d be looking at a pre 2012 125HP (if you are round baling) with Tier 3 and a big strong loader. You could get a 125-150 with a loader and ~3000 hrs for under 80.

Last edited: