Tempted by Chinese mini excavators

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those tiny, gas-powered Chinese mini-ex's. They look look a lot of fun for relatively little money.
I already own a Kubota BX25D, and I have put over 1600 hours on it. Of course, it has a backhoe with mechanical thumb, and a loader with an Add a Grapple and a toothbar on the bucket. I like the easy re- positioning and 360 degree rotation of the mini-x, and they're damn cute; but I suspect they would feel light and under powered compared even to the BX25D.
I use the backhoe for digging in heavy soil filled with rocks and roots, digging out stumps and rocks, clearing brush, cleaning streams, digging holes for planting shrubs and trees, etc.
Would anyone with experience of one of those diggers offer opinions? Thanks!

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators #2  
Got a link or a pic of what brand you are talking about?

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators
There are several out there, all similar Groundhog is a common one.

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators #4  
I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those tiny, gas-powered Chinese mini-ex's. They look look a lot of fun for relatively little money.
I already own a Kubota BX25D, and I have put over 1600 hours on it. Of course, it has a backhoe with mechanical thumb, and a loader with an Add a Grapple and a toothbar on the bucket. I like the easy re- positioning and 360 degree rotation of the mini-x, and they're damn cute; but I suspect they would feel light and under powered compared even to the BX25D.
I use the backhoe for digging in heavy soil filled with rocks and roots, digging out stumps and rocks, clearing brush, cleaning streams, digging holes for planting shrubs and trees, etc.
The mini excavator will outdo a comparable size tractor mounted backhoe. It however is a lot slower moving it about. There are many video reviews of them you can watch and several dedicated Threads discussing here at the Forum if you go to the excavator area.

Be careful of which one you buy since they may look real similar but there is a wide range of features and quality differences. Prices right now are getting low due to the market being swamped with them. A lot of dealers however may not have reduced prices since they imported when prices were higher.

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators #5  
Apparently the really inexpensive units lack pilot controls, from what I gather, but that feature is there on the upscale versions. Pilot control would be desirable.

I missed my chance at a Kubota version at our local municipal auction a number of years ago. It was diesel powered and went for $1400. I still kick myself for not bidding.

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators #7  
Yep, get the one without an engine and buy a US spec engine here and slap it in.

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators
Okay, I should have searched! Lots of discussion to read through...thanks!

/ Tempted by Chinese mini excavators #9  
I'd much rather buy a VERY used regular brand like cat, kubota, komotsu, etc than one of those chinese jobs. Considering they can't seem to make something simpler and have it be reliable without someone looking over their shoulder I sure wouldn't trust something that they do the quality control on themselves. At least with the others you know you'll able to get parts and the chances of something failing that isn't replaceable is much lower. Sure can't say that about a full Chinese brand. You'll be lucky if you can even talk to someone about parts, let alone ordering something and have it actually show up.