Traction TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD

/ TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD #1  

mphymel

Tractor
TC40D Supersteer, 17LA
Ive been looking at other posts regarding this problem and it seems that the supersteer machines are a bit different than others in the way the 4WD lock is designed.

In my case, it appears that I hit something and broke the cable leading from the 4WD lock lever.
It also appears that the plate securing the other end of the cable may be bent, but was also bearing against the splines of the shaft causing wear.

I'll need to replace this cable, but my question is how to go about adjusting the travel properly to make sure I get full engagement and complete disengagement. I suspect either could lead to premature damage if this is not set correctly.

Also, if anyone has a similar machine, do you notice a slight bend in the plate securing the lower end of the cable beneath the tractor. It shows in the attached pic.

RIP Jinman, I know he'd have weighed in on this post.

Mark

Attachments

• 20160904_092824.jpg
    20160904_092824.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 20160904_092924.jpg
    20160904_092924.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 198
   / TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD #2  
Sorry I can't be of any help. I can surely see the mark on the splines. All I can really say is - I guess I am glad our TC40D doesn't have Super Steer

/ TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD
Sorry I can't be of any help. I can surely see the mark on the splines. All I can really say is - I guess I am glad our TC40D doesn't have Super Steer

Qapla, just out of curiosity, does your machine have a cable like that or is this something that must be specific to the supersteer?

/ TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD #4  
I looked at the parts diagram on Messick's website. There is a different diagram for the left hand levers with Supersteer. It looks like the Supersteer has a FWD clutch cable, the regular FWD doesn't have it. List is $119.53.

/ TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD #5  
No, our tractor does not have that cable - I guess it is part of the Super Steer.

Like you noticed, there are separate diagrams for the two steering systems.

/ TC40DA Supersteer stuck in 4WD #6  
I assume the super steer tractor has a different 4x4 clutching mechanism because the front axle steers sharper. The one front tire is at a much larger turning radius than the other front, so that speed difference has to be addressed.