tc24d for haying

/ tc24d for haying #1  

rockquarry

Tractor
New Holland TC29
Anyone ever cut and bail hay with a tc24d or similar sized CUT, I am looking to buy one for landscaping around my house and some brush cutting but i also have about 3 acres of grass that is mowed by a local farm but he keeps the hay for a fee for keeping it clean. we just bought this place and found out about it. i would like to do it my self and be able to sell the hay to the guy across the road for his horses since he has no field for his horses. anyone ever use a tractor that small for hay?

Boy I really need to use the spell checker

/ tc24d for haying #2  
Please look at this post and see if you are not getting a good deal now, there is no way that you can buy a baler for three acres.

Tractor by Net Farm

/ tc24d for haying
Sorry for asking "newbie" questions but i am after alll a newbie to owning any piece of land and any type of tractor. Ive seen a link on here some where for a bailer that works off 15hp pto and makes small bails. I dont know the price and just more or less curious about it. thought it might give me something to do. My father-in-law has an IH706 along with mowers rakes and bailers and has said he would come down and bail it for his cows but he's 45min away by hiway and would take all day and two trucks to get his stuff down here to do it. Im the type of person that would rather do it my self. thats why im getting the tractor instead of just paying someone 10000 to landsape my yard and build the terrace wall for me with the rock that was escavated out of our basement. sorry to rant on like this just looking for info on stuff i can do with my new toy when i finally get it

/ tc24d for haying #4  
That is how one learns. by asking questions. You will find that the compact balers will more than likely cost more than a full size baler.

There is always satisfaction in doing the job yourself. You will find that just cutting the grass to keep it trimmed will be cheaper than haying it.

/ tc24d for haying #5  
First the bad news - tc24d does not have enough weight to SAFELY bale hay.
The action of the plunger in the baler will put excessive stress on your tractor (and you!).
The baler most likely weighs more than the tractor making it dangerous on any type of hill.
Besides purchasing a baler, you will need something t o mow it with and something to rake it.
If you mow the hay with a finish mower it will be chopped up too small for the baler to pick it up.
Even if you do get the equipment you need, you have to know WHEN to cut, WHEN to bale - moisture content must be a certain % or the hay will mold, and numerous other things a farmer would have learned over the last few decades.

Now the good news - I have a J.D. 14T baler that I paid $750 for, a sickle bar mower I paid $350 for, and a 4 wheel V rake I paid $750 for (all used). I can (and have) operate these with my J.D. 4010 (18 h.p.) on 10 acres of flat ground. I won't do it again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif 'cause I have a larger tractor now, but just want you to know it is possible.

Profitable? No. Fun and a learning experience? You bet /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ tc24d for haying #6  
I would be glad to let the farmer cut the hay and keep it. You do not have to worry about doing it yourself if you let the farmer do it for you.You will have so much money tied up in the equipment for just 3 acres it would not feasible for you to buy the equipment.