Taking the plunge with Amsoil

/ Taking the plunge with Amsoil #12  
I would use Super UDT first and Amsoil second. I used Amsoil 30 hydraulic oil in the front axle because I had it. I did my 50 hour service draining about 49 quarts in total (at least thats how much went back in, figuring cylinders, valves, lines held the rest). It was very easy to just use a standard oil pan for engine oil changes and put the plug back in when it was filled. Dumped that into some empty 5 gallon paint pails and then eventually into the empty hydraulic oil containers that were used to fill the tractor. My advice, get some paper towels (rolls).

I'm about 15 hours from my 100 hour oil change. That is just engine oil but figure I will use a synthetic like Redline oil 15W40. I know they don't show a filter change but I always do, I know it doesn't need it but the idea of leaving a quart of old oil in the filter just never seemed right. Filters are so cheap to buy. I'm sure your hydrostatic filter will need changing. They aren't too cheap but built like something off the space shuttle. Rat...

/ Taking the plunge with Amsoil #13  
Did you just drain till the pan was full and then put the plug back in? If so, I can understand where the paper towels come in...

I'm with you on the filters - change 'em with the oil.

Do you have links on discussions on Redline? My VW TDI's came from the factory with Castrol Syntec 5w40. I did a little searching on it and Redline but didn't come up with much.

-david

/ Taking the plunge with Amsoil #14  
Try this link: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.redlineoil.com/>RedLine Oil</A>

/ Taking the plunge with Amsoil #15  
<font color=blue>Redfisher - And I've got more than that just in hydraulic oil for the EF-500. When it takes 25-gal to change it, that hurts! </font color=blue>
I know what you mean Mark, when I had my 20000lb International TLB I "topped" off the hydraulic resevoir with 5 gal pails!! (Course on a used 20 year old machine I used the cheapest stuff I could get).........../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Taking the plunge with Amsoil #16  
Yeah, that's when it's really hard - when you know that it's going on the ground almost as fast as you put it in...