t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill #1  

george deere

Tractor
t5b terramite jd420c
Hello everyone can you help i'm thinking the torque motor in worn thanks in advance for your help

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill #2  
torque motor
Hello George, The community here is great and will go out of their way to be helpful. All of that being said, the group will need a little more information: What is the piece of equipment and what are the symptoms?

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill #3  
Welcome! :coffee:The simplest/first thing would be to check the hydro level. There's no free-spool available with the torquemotor type. So if hydro is foaming as the pump draws air couldn't the symptoms be what's up? (compressible vs not) If the hydraulics work ok w/o hiccups you should be good to the front pump .. for a while. (two more pumps in the HST) Could a line from the tank to a pump be sucking air? :unsure:

btw, HST and cylinders have separate circuits but share the same reservoir. I can't keep up with or fix every little leak (I wipe a lot allover and park sheltered over cardboard :LOL:) so I check both hydro and fuel levels every time I fire up the TM. Be sure to add anything else you notice when operating and let us know if you have any other questions. :)

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill
Thanks for the reply, level is good cant see any foaming front end and backhoe work well its up and down slopes not driving like it use to. Scary part after reading some of the threads here about proper hydro oil. I've had this t5b since early 90's and always used hydro fluid not engine oil. Any thoughts on that. Thanks

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill #5  
My T5C specs 15W-40 engine oil apecifically and I've heard many negatives about using hydro instead. Dunno about earlier T5B or if manuals are as easy to download/print. btw, ISO 150 hydro? If not, way too thin IMO.

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill #6  
I had a similar problem on my T6 and it was driving me crazy. After ruling out the basics:fluid, levels etc... We pulled out the trans assembly and I took it for service they found nothing charged me an hour for looking.

We fiddled around a bit before we put it back in and out fell half a roll/spring pin from where the pedal actuates the tram. We got the rest of the pin out, replaced it and bam. All good. $2 fix.

Turns out that the pedal was not moving the lever as intended. The jerking (uphill like you) was the plate in the tram just slapping around. Reverse had no real effect just very very slow Rev. Which would result in runaway on any significant hill.

The setup of the t5 is nearly identical so check very carefully that the pedal is fully in control of the shaft going to the tram.

Good luck

Never thought of that as the problem, i'm not sure exactly were the spring is that you are referring to, i will check that out. We may have manuals detailing that area. That would be a $798 swing(torque motor is $800). Hope we find that broken spring. Thanks for the input.

/ t5b jerks up hill and runs away down hill #8  
Yeah it's one of those things that never breaks or doesn't look broken when it does so none of us considered it.

It's not a spring it's a roll pin. Some people call them spring pins. It goes through the shaft that connect the pedal to the hydraulic Trans pump. (tram) the kind of thing that you knock out w a punch tool. No idea how it broke. Fatigue or ice I imagine.

Broken, it allowed the pedal to to move the shaft a little bit not really control it. The shaft could also bounce around... Which is a problem that causes bucking like you described.

Check the roll pin its a solid connection from pedal to the pump. Back to it being the torque motor. thanks for all your advice, lets you know how we make out.