Strange things - Montana 3840 200-ish hours

/ Strange things - Montana 3840 200-ish hours #1  

danfw58

Tractor
Montana 3840
I have the above machine, this one is built by LS Cable.

I use it primarily for mowing our field with a brush hog on the PTO. It runs for a while and then will just die, acting like it's starving out of fuel. Starts right back up again and then may stay running for a while, or may just die out again. SEEMS like it's more when it's warmed up than when it's cold. I replaced the fuel filter a couple hours (clock time) ago.

This happened last year and the mechanic said it was the ignition switch, which was replaced. I noticed that when it dies out, if it's just sitting idling, I hear what sounds like a 'click' just before it starves out again.. but haven't been able to start it and hear exactly WHERE the click comes from. The glass bowl on the fuel filter is full, filter looks fine. It's so weird and random. It may stay running for 15 minutes, or 2 minutes. I did notice that when it's acting up, when I get above about 2000 rpms it seems to just starve out also and die quicker... once it starts to die, no feathering of the throttle or anything helps it keep running. Seems like a fuel issue but with the ignition switch replacement last year that seemed to fix it, I'm confused for sure. Thanks!

/ Strange things - Montana 3840 200-ish hours #2  
Welcome to the site. My 2740 Montana has a similar issue when I am running the brush mower or any reason that causes me to turn around in the seat. The ignition key is in the perfect location to bump with my knee. The shape of the Montana key head catches my pants leg and turns off the engine. If I'm quick, I can turn the key on again and continue on. Doesn't seem to need to be turned off completely for this to happen. I hope yours is just that simple. Aside from that and a couple of other minor issues, it's been a great little machine. I have about 1200 hours on mine now. Even has the original battery in it from 2007.....Dan.

/ Strange things - Montana 3840 200-ish hours #3  
I have the above machine, this one is built by LS Cable.

I use it primarily for mowing our field with a brush hog on the PTO. It runs for a while and then will just die, acting like it's starving out of fuel. Starts right back up again and then may stay running for a while, or may just die out again. SEEMS like it's more when it's warmed up than when it's cold. I replaced the fuel filter a couple hours (clock time) ago.

This happened last year and the mechanic said it was the ignition switch, which was replaced. I noticed that when it dies out, if it's just sitting idling, I hear what sounds like a 'click' just before it starves out again.. but haven't been able to start it and hear exactly WHERE the click comes from. The glass bowl on the fuel filter is full, filter looks fine. It's so weird and random. It may stay running for 15 minutes, or 2 minutes. I did notice that when it's acting up, when I get above about 2000 rpms it seems to just starve out also and die quicker... once it starts to die, no feathering of the throttle or anything helps it keep running. Seems like a fuel issue but with the ignition switch replacement last year that seemed to fix it, I'm confused for sure. Thanks!
That click may be the fuel shut off solenoid. That solenoid is controlled by the ignition switch. There could be a loose wire connection or a chaffed wire that is shorting out.

/ Strange things - Montana 3840 200-ish hours #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Another thing for you to check (the symptoms you describe) is for a biological growth in the bottom of your fuel tank. I'd put an inspection camera in there and have a look... it'll look like fairy floss (cotton candy) mixed with phlegm.

Enjoy the site, from wherever in the world you are.