Loader storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #1  

Magilla1

Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2320 with a FEL and 62" MMM. Thinking about storage and switching out the MMM and FEL on a dirt floor. I won't be switching out the MMM/FEL all that often -- will try to do most of my FEL work in Nov-February when not mowing -- but I'm sure I'll need to switch out at least a few times during mowing season.

My sense is that a hard, flat surface (concrete floor) is the best/only way to make switching out the FEL/MMM easy to do. Unfortunately, I don't have that. No garage and if I spring for the CUT, no room in the budget to build one. I was planning to build a simple run-in style equipment shed on a somewhat flat spot in an open gap in my woods, i.e., a dirt floor. Is this a bad idea? Will I go nuts with the dirt floor being slightly out of level and trying to put on the FEL and/or the MMM?

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #2  
shouldn't be a problem. they can be on at same time anyways, and the loader will be no problem to hook up and the deck is a drive over so shouldn't matter either.

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #3  
If the dirt floor is level, packed and dry, removing and installing the loader shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, unless the deck is a drive-on/drive-off, I think you will find doing that chore on dirt very frustrating. I know I cuss a lot removing and installing the 48" deck from my lawn tractor on the garage's concrete floor.

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #4  
Will I go nuts with the dirt floor being slightly out of level and trying to put on the FEL and/or the MMM?

The loader YES! Taking the FEL off on a non-level surface will cause may cuss words when you go to re-mount it. And the parking stands are known for bending also...

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #5  
level the area you are going to put the FEL in with stone dust and landscape pavers and you can use the FEL to haul this material to it's own resting place :thumbsup:

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #6  
I mount/dismount my MMM on my 855 on hard packed earth as I do not have a place otherwise to do so. Much better on packed earth than on grass or crushed stone. Tried both.

The FEL much prefers level. I think I must have twisted something on mine last summer when I did NOT have it parked on a good level surface. Re-mounting has become a pain to do.

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #7  
I have taken my MMM of in the yard and havent had major problems reconnecting it.. I usually end up having the pull/push it slightly so the rear lifters connect..

I have never had my FEL off, I just take my bucket off when I mow..

Brian

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #8  
Magilla 1, I have a gravel floor in my machine shed. To ease removal of the 72" MMM I cut a 4' x 8' piece of OSB into 1' x 8' strips to make tracks for the MM casters. Works very well. I have not had any problems with removing the loader on the gravel, and I expect that firm, dry dirt would work OK as well.

/ storing and switching out FEL/MMM on dirt floor #9  
I have never had my FEL off, I just take my bucket off when I mow..
Ditto. I didn't buy a loader to leave it parked in the garage. I just pull the pins and drop the bucket when I mow with my 2305. With the bucket off, the loader arms don't get in my way or bother me in the least when I mow. And I've got lots of trees and stuff to mow around. The loader is just too handy. I don't know that I'll ever have a reason to park it for too long.