Traction SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS.

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS. #1  

yakman$

Tractor
NH TC45DA
Looking for a little advice

I bought tire chains for my tractor but the have been chewing up my fenders no matter how tight I seem to be able to get them on. My question is regarding rim spacers it seems to me if I could space the rim out this may solve all my problems. Does anyone know how big of a spacer could I put on the tractor????

Also what about tire studs??? Other then the obvious notes that they shouldn't be to long and should be made form case hard material so they don't break off. Will the work for extra traction????? Can anyone recommend a brand??? Does anyone use studs???

Any advice would be great

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS. #2  
Most snow contractors around here use HD studs as chains wear out fast going from drive to drive on pavement.

The studs are larger than what is used on cars.

One guy has 3 years 1100 hrs on his big 80 hp NH machine with no problems.
He maintains 60-70 drives!.

The ride is also much smoother than chains.

He told me that studs cost hin $100 (per tire or both?), however chains are much more $$$'s and a PIA to install/remouve. (not counting the clackity clack when driving)

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS. #3  
If you are asking if you can make the wheels closer or farther apart, what kind of tractor are you using? I am not sure if that was your question or you need other info. Some rims on compact tractors are reversible which changes the spacing of the tires. That can be done easy.

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS. #4  
Looking for a little advice

I bought tire chains for my tractor but the have been chewing up my fenders no matter how tight I seem to be able to get them on. My question is regarding rim spacers it seems to me if I could space the rim out this may solve all my problems. Does anyone know how big of a spacer could I put on the tractor????

Also what about tire studs??? Other then the obvious notes that they shouldn't be to long and should be made form case hard material so they don't break off. Will the work for extra traction????? Can anyone recommend a brand??? Does anyone use studs???

Any advice would be great

Reversing the rim/tire can change the outer tire spacing. On my owners manual it explains the possible combination of rim orientations and resulting total width. That might set the tires a bit further from the sides of tractor solving your problem.

JC,

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS.
If you are asking if you can make the wheels closer or farther apart, what kind of tractor are you using? I am not sure if that was your question or you need other info. Some rims on compact tractors are reversible which changes the spacing of the tires. That can be done easy.

My tractor is a TC45DA and yes that is what i am asking i want to push the wheel out the chains i have are always hitting the fenders

reversible sounds good how do i find out if mine will do this?????

Reversing the rim/tire can change the outer tire spacing. On my owners manual it explains the possible combination of rim orientations and resulting total width. That might set the tires a bit further from the sides of tractor solving your problem.

JC,

I will check my manual

thanks

yakman$

Most snow contractors around here use HD studs as chains wear out fast going from drive to drive on pavement.

The studs are larger than what is used on cars.

One guy has 3 years 1100 hrs on his big 80 hp NH machine with no problems.
He maintains 60-70 drives!.

The ride is also much smoother than chains.

He told me that studs cost hin $100 (per tire or both?), however chains are much more $$$'s and a PIA to install/remouve. (not counting the clackity clack when driving)

HD Stud ?
Is that a brand name??????
Where do i find them ????

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS. #9  
Studs will never give you the same traction as chains. Chains also add weight. Make sure if you choose to stud you use real tire studs and install properly. The last thing you want is to ruin a set of tires or to have studs fall out and puncture a tire.

Is the non-adjustable rear wheels something new on tractors? I have never seen this before where rear tires and wheels aren't adjustable for crop spacing. What gives, are compact manufacturers not using normal rims or are folks just not familiar with spacing wheels? There have been a bunch of posts lately about buying spacers? Never seen a tractor that had fixed wheels.:confused:

/ SPACERS OR STUDS TRACTION PROBS. #10  
HD Stud ?
Is that a brand name??????
Where do i find them ????

Only answer I can supply is that the tractor dealers around here supply that service as I know many snow contractors now install studs.

Perhaps your dealer or another close by may offer the installation.

Another source might be a tire shop that caters to trucking and or tractors.

LOL, I notice you are in Ontario--just drop down to Montreal and I'll introduce you to the NH dealer that installs them.