Snow Attachments Snow blower shear bolt

/ Snow blower shear bolt #1  

Deerlope

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900
The new shear pins that I ordered came in today and the heads are marked like a standard GR 5 bolt but as I am learning and doing searches I find that not all GR 5 bolts shear at the same force. Does anyone have a model L-2174-62" Kutbota snow blower who would be willing to look and see how the shear pin is marked that is on the auger power shaft? I think that I am getting the run around. The dealer gave me the new bolts but I informed him that, that was not going to releave him of the responsiblity of repairing the auger.

/ Snow blower shear bolt #2  
Deerlope, I don't have the same blower as you, (I have a B2660) but my guess is that they use the same augers and shear pins. When I got mine I changed both of the bolts to grade two. I figured I wanted to change bolts more often than brake something. I have only snapped one so far this season. And that is after hitting something that was buried in the snow. I would just use the softer bolts and not worry about the shear factor of different makers of grade 5 bolts.

/ Snow blower shear bolt #3  
I have an L3830 HST with the same front-mounted blower. I maintain 2 miles of mountain road in Northern Idaho with it, front & rear chains, and a 72 inch Landpride rear blade. I have about 80 hours on the blower and have sheared at least a half a dozen grade 5 bolts (my road grows lots of invisible rocks). I carry a bag of shear bolts and tools with me every trip I make up and down the road. Two separate Kubota dealers told me to just go to the local hardware store and buy them as they are just standard, 1 ea., grade 5 bolts. So far the setup has worked and continues to work great.

/ Snow blower shear bolt #4  
Deerlope,
I'm with Von. Grade 2 bolts will work fine until you hit
something. I have broken one bolt in four years.
I have the 59 inch yellow snowblower on front of a green
4310 but I sure admire the orange stuff too!