Snow Attachments Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor

/ Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I am interested in acquiring a JD / Frontier loader snow blade AF11 in either 72 or 84 inch. Does anyone have experience with this model? Also does anyone have a good recommendation from another manufacturer that would be compatible with a JD 4720? What types of problems have you had, likes/dislikes?
Don't think the frequency and/or depth of snow can justify a blower but with a 3/4 mile driveway and the slope of the driveway where we are building the FEL bucket won't cut it when we do get snow.
Thanks

/ Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor #2  
I use a Hiniker Big Ox quick attach blade on the FEL of my DX55. It's 90" wide and it works fine on my tractor. From what I've seen, most of the good blades are similar. Mine is made for a skid steer so it is nice and heavy. There are lighter duty blades out there too. Hiniker makes some now that have the plastic moldbolds for tractors and FELs. Curtis is another popular blade around here. I carry a rear ballast that weighs 1000 lbs which makes the tractor run like a tank through most depths of snow. I run temporary hyd lines from rear remotes the the front to angle the blade. My mostly gravel drive is about 1/4 mile, curved, and sloped. As long as you have room to push the snow way off the drive when needed (between big storms) then the blade is much faster than a blower. Blades work best when moving at a pretty good speed to roll the snow.

/ Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor #3  
I use a 10' pusher for my JD 110, which is about the same size as your 4720. It is actually a HD fisher plow that someone welded sides to and I welded a SSQA to the back. I only push straight but with tire chains it will push a lot of snow. Since you will angle your plow I would go with a 84 to 90" plow, any smaller and you will run over the snow when angled. You need to make sure you can get enough speed like Ford850 said, snow pushes easy when you are rolling it.

/ Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor #4  
I attached a 7' Western plow on my JD 4300. Yours would likely handle a 10' plow with ease. Built the bracket to quick attach to the front end.

Attachments

• 100_1052 (Large).JPG
    100_1052 (Large).JPG
    177 KB · Views: 680
   / Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor
I appreciate the input I have received so far. "Been there" how did you attached it to the frame of the tractor? It looks like the FEL hydrualics were used for the angle rams but don't see a hyd blade lift capability. Do you have to manually lift the blade?

/ Snow Blade/Plow Equipment for JD 55 HP Tractor #6  
No, use the conventional Western plow lift arm with single ram.
Here is a pic of the hitch that I designed to attach to the front frame.
(white primer paint).

Attachments

• Hitch_pre-paint.jpg
    Hitch_pre-paint.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Image002 (Medium).jpg
    Image002 (Medium).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 569