side business using new tractor

/ side business using new tractor #31  
Back in the days when I ran a mobile auto repair business, I charged a trip charge, and waved it if the repair reached a preset minimum. Same basis when I had a TV sales/service outlet. In my current line of work, I charged 31 cents per mile for my daily transport from home to work, which was 76 miles on my last contract. Previous contract, I did not charge mileage, as it was within my 25 mile radius.
Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too? The contracts ran at 50 to 75 per hour, depending whether or not benefits were included.

/ side business using new tractor #32  
Bill, you crack me up---waiting fee charged to the doctor wouldn't that be great!!!

Bill in my post I just wanted to show why I charge what I charge and how the little things add up quick. Not to say it's right or wrong but I do believe it's fair to both the customer and more importantly ME.

Now I also do jobs that are close to the house and drive the tractor, most of these are repeat customers so the minimum is waived. Then again most of these jobs are longer than a couple of hours as well. On bigger jobs that last for days it varies on how I charge. So there are many different ways to get paid. I also do alot of estimate work so all fees are figured up front of course. It's the changes that make the good money. Skidding logs is where I can charge the most per hour but alot of that comes in the winter months under the lights. I cut during the day on weekends and skid out the logs under the lights during the week. I'll do this when I can't keep up just cutting and skidding on the weekends or if the weather is bad.

The main thing to consider when doing tractor work is to add up all the small stuff and charge accordingly. Remember this if you charge to low per hour your only selling yourself short!!! Life is to short and I would like to retire at a young age so if I can't make money at it I ain't gunna do it!!! Good luck to all in tractor land and may you all have full pockets with no breakdowns!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ side business using new tractor #33  
Derek, yep, my mother is pretty smart. She never let me blame someone or something when things went wrong. Can't tell you how many times she said, "Quit griping about the problem, start thinking about the solution." One heck of a woman.

Gordon, cutting and skidding out logs is hard [censored] work! ESPECIALLY when working at night! And it's cold! I hope you charge a lot 'cause you deserve it.

I remember a story that goes well with this tread. There was a manufacturing plant manager that had one of his main assembly line machines go down. He called the service man, told him that his production line had stopped, and he was loosing money every second the assembly line wasn't producing. The service man came right out, looked at the problem, told the plant manager he could fix the problem right then, and it would cost $5,000. The plant manager agreed. The service man went to the broken machine, turned a screw 1/2 of a turn, and it was good as new. When he presented the plant manager with his bill, and the plant manager got very angry. He told the service man he wasn't going to pay him $5,000 for simply turning a screw 1/2 of a turn. The service man told him he wasn't being payed $5,000 for simply turning a screw 1/2 of a turn, rather he was paying him $5,000 for knowing which screw to turn and how far.

One last thing, talked to a friend last night and asked him how he charged folks for tractor work. He said with small jobs instead of minimums he charges a flat rate. He used the example of one customer who needed a pile of rock moved. He said he'd do it for $175. The customer thought his price was a little high. He asked the customer if he had any idea how long and hard it would be if the customer did the job by hand. The customer agreed to the $175. The job took about an hour and a half. This way of charging made sense to me.

Bill Cook

/ side business using new tractor #34  
Fisherman .... I bought my L3710GST strictly for playing on my 8 acres. It's used to maintain the horse pasture, brushhog, clean off snow so my wife can get back to the barn in the winter (I walk, she uses the golf cart).
Fortunately (or un- .. depending on your point of view) I can't afford to use it to make money. My tax rate is already high enough ... so it's just a toy. (and already paid off, thank goodness ... I hate that Prt-ownership-with-bank stuff)
That said ... having done some work for others back in Alberta ... I'm a BillC point-of-view guy. I have benefited from having people do stuff for me that I felt unqualified for ... and I try and spread that joy around myself. If I recovered my fuel and supplies costs ... I was happy.
I used to have a sideline, back in Alberta, of building, fixing, and caring for PC's ... and made enough money to qualify for tax status (i.e. not having the IRS (or Canadian equivalent) disallow my expenses), My main reason for having the business was to give the poor newbies someplace to go where they weren't being gouged by the unscrupulous businesses out there. I charged enough that it wzsn't free ... but the charges were tailored to the customer ... some got charged nothing, some got charged a little ... and some "abusers" got charged full price. But I liked the fact that I could make up for the dolts that worked in the stores and gave advice like "oh, that error message means the system can't read the hard drive and your only solution is to do a full format" (I managed to recover 95% of the files anyway).

I might feel different if I had to scratch to make payments for the tractor ... but I doubt it. Guess I'd make a terrible small businessman!

too bad that common sense ain't

/ side business using new tractor #35  
Well it would definately be nice to have some of you guys around. I myself have no problem paying a person for a job well done. It would be nice to go around doing charity but I do not believe moost of us can.
Biilc brought up about hard money bidding, i would like to give whom-ever posted this thread a piece of advice. When you give a home-owner a hard bid on a job, just like was written here earlier they will come to you and say hey how about just pushing that over there.. Or while your waiting on me could dig me a trench over there? Of course I can, But the real question is are you gonna pay for it? For these reasons I have shyed away from hard money bids..The customers think that well it would only take you couple minutes, which typically is true. But what if i bust a tire, a hose or anything. That little minute would kill any amount of profit you hoped for. On big jobs I like to charge by the day. Smaller by the hour, because they know your on the clock and if they ask you for something they are paying.. Dont misunderstand me though Iam not saying be rude or discortious, Iam not. BUT YOU GOTTA RUN IT LIKE A BUSINESS, SIDE-BUSINESS OR NOT.. UNLESS YOU HAVE UNLIMITED RICHES AS OTHERS..

/ side business using new tractor #36  
John, hadn't thought about that with a hard bid job. You are absolutely right. With most jobs I do the customer usually has one or two other things that need done too. When I'm working by the hour I don't mind. If I had set a firm price for a job I would mind. We'd have to renegociate the job's price. Thanks for the tip.

Bill Cook

/ side business using new tractor #37  
I've been reading this whole thread with great intrest, there must be more of a need for tractor work in other areas than in the area I live in (NE Ohio). I know a guy with a 5000 series 70 hp Deere that has a loader, rotary cutter, box scraper and other attachments. If this guy had to rely on side work to pay for his tractor he would be in deep ****, most folks around here either know someone who will do it for free, or they go out and buy what they need to do it. I would never buy a tractor counting on side work to make the payments, unless I had lots of money to throw around, or an established buisness.

/ side business using new tractor #38  
msocko3 Hey I think your absoultely correct not to buy a tractor thinking your gonna make payments with side work. For one I know a guy who convinced his wife he would do just that and never made one attempt to get work. For one thing you gotta be a go-getter it just aint gonna all come to your door. Where I live it has really been an explosive rate of growth and development.. I have no problem(knock on wood) maintaining some accounts generally just mowing for bills and the other jobs right now or going into my house. (remodeling) All though I did just get a stump-grinder. I try to broaden my area of making money to include as much as possible. I have two separate accounts where i purchase grass (sod) from at a discount. Any way to your orginal thoughts you probally live in a farming community so it sounds like, and as I stated before there are lots of subdivisons and new mini-farms going up faster then I can get around.. So theres plenty of work.. Good Luck to All