Shrimp in Green Pumpkin Seed Sauce

/ Shrimp in Green Pumpkin Seed Sauce #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
A while back I put up a recipe for shrimp in diablo sauce, very red. I decided to put up a matching green shrimp recipe. A long time ago I had this in a restaurant somewhere, cannot remember where, and had no idea how it was made. Last week I found a promising recipe in a 20 year old cookbook and decided to use it as a base for experimenting. The second batch turned out very nice.

1.5 lb medium shrimp
3/4 cup raw green pumpkin seeds
large handful of cilantro leaves
3 serrano chiles
1/2 small white onion
1/2 cup fresh sour cream

Using 1/2 lb of shrimp, cut them up and cook for 20 min in about 2 cups of water with salt. The idea is to make a flavorful shrimp broth.

Strain the cut up shrimp out. Now put the other 1 lb of shrimp in the broth and cook for about 3 min until they just turn opaque. Set the shrimp aside, save the broth.

Toast the pumpkin seeds very lightly in a cast iron pan. Do not let them brown, they will be bitter and you will have to throw them away and start over.

Now put the broth, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, onion and chiles in the blender and let it go until the sauce is very smooth.

Put 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. Pour the sauce from the blender into the pan, cook at very low heat for about 3 min stirring all the time. Now put in the sour cream, cook for another 3 min. Now put in the cooked shrimps, and let heat through for about 5 min. Done!

It sounds complicated but is simple and takes about 40 min.

Served on tortillas or rice.

On sour cream. Not standard grocery store sour cream. You want natural sour cream where the ingredient list says sour cream. and nothing else. No fillers, no thickeners, no preservatives. Somewhat thick.

Attachments

• greenshrimp.jpg
    greenshrimp.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 111
   / Shrimp in Green Pumpkin Seed Sauce #2  
Sounds different to me and the picture looks good. I've never used pumpkin seeds in anything myself.

/ Shrimp in Green Pumpkin Seed Sauce
My wife uses them in several things. Also in salad like sesame seeds or snack like peanuts.