Shenniu not starting

/ Shenniu not starting #1  

GDC

Tractor
Shenniu 254
Hello

This is the first time I have posted to this community. I bought a Shenniu 254 from China Diesel way back in 1995 and up until now, it has served me well. The tractor has ~3500 hrs or so on it.
Yesterday, I went to the barn to start it and had no luck. the motor seemed to crank faster than usual, but it would not fire. I put my hand over the exhaust and felt reasonable pressure with a slight vacuum at certain points. I'm thinking maybe stuck exhaust valves, but I would like other opinions before I pull the head.

Thanks
Greg /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Shenniu not starting #2  
Is the compression release stuck open/partway?

/ Shenniu not starting
I pulled the valve cover and the release itself doesn't seem to be sticking, but one valve doesn't seem to be coming up as far as the others. so this may be the problem. I haven't worked on diesels too much, I havn't had the need. This tractor has been basically fill it up and go for the past 10 years. Is there any possibility that the problem is due to the injectors?

Thanks
Greg

/ Shenniu not starting #4  
Sounds like a bent or stuck valve. A few possibilites include squirting some penetrating oil on it and see if it frees up on it's own. If so, it sounds like it might be time for an oil change?!
Otherwise, you'll probably have to pull the head. Can't imagine how the injectors could have caused this........

/ Shenniu not starting #5  
Before you get to deep into taking the Shenniu apart are you certain that it is getting fuel?

Try taking the fuel line lose from the sediment bowl and see if you have good fuel flow out of the tank. You should have a good steady stream of fuel with the lines unattached.

I'm pretty sure that you have a filter within the bowl itself and a screen that is up inside the fuel tank. The screen inside the tank plugged more than once for me preventing the engine from starting.

/ Shenniu not starting #6  
GDC,
I am with PR on point of "is it getting fuel" , valves don't ususally stick unless water has been coming down the stack, or you have a cracked exaust manifold. No a compression release cable might stick, but don't you normally use that for starting ?

Ben

/ Shenniu not starting
Thanks
This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I will check fuel flow first and put some penetratin oil on the one valve before I pull it apart. The oil has been changed pretty regularily ~ 300 hrs or so.

Thanks
Greg

/ Shenniu not starting
Hello all

I got is started this afternoon! Turns out it wasn't getting enough fuel through the petcock. I'm not sure what the strainer on the inside of the tank is made of, but it looks like it dissolved and plugged up the shut off valve. I cracked the high pressure fittings to see if I had pressure at the injectors and worked my way back to the tank. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Greg /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Shenniu not starting #9  
Greg I'm glad it was something as simple as a restriction in the fuel system. Those types of problems are quickly and easily remedied.