Shaping up the tractor shed

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #1  

MossyDell

Silver Member
Tractor
B2601 (2021) B6100E (1988) B2100 (1991) JD970 (1998)
Wall Control is sturdy steel pegboard available in various colors, and it's helping me get control of my workbench in the tractor shed. I picked orange to honor my Kubota, with some blue fixtures like the paper towel holder. Nicely painted, Wall Control looks more expensive than it is. Internet ordered it from their Georgia plant. Got discount for it being my first order.

Next I'm going to add some magnets for wrenches above the pegboard, on the 2x4 above the second run, just past the saw. It's kind of tight, planned by the seat of my pants. But I'm determined to get the workbench more clear . . .

Wall Control I.jpg

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #3  
You want to get the workbench "more clear"? That workbench looks VERY clear to me - nice job.

I need to get tool control first (putting them away) to clear my benches!

/ Shaping up the tractor shed
You want to get the workbench "more clear"? That workbench looks VERY clear to me - nice job.

I need to get tool control first (putting them away) to clear my benches!

Ha! What you don't see is that the floor is COVERED with tools. Got them off and attacked the surface, covered with dirt, mouse turds, sawdust. I swept it and then swabbed it with Simple Green.

Once the magnets come this week, I'll hang them and unload a couple wrench rolls, plus lots of miscellaneous wrenches and sockets. I'm putting everything I can stand to in the cabinets. Which are disgusting inside and need cleaning too.

I'd rather have open shelves. Certainly the bottom area and maybe the top cabinets too. If I put something away, it's like it, well, it disappears, and I can't remember to dig it out when needed. Partly it's my age I guess and partly that I didn't build this shop and am just putting stuff away for the first time since we moved here four years ago.

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #5  
Thats the saying, out of sight, out of mind! So remembering which cabinet stuff is in is a challenge. I end up opening five drawers to MAYBE find the tool I am looking for

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #6  
Recently Bought new toolbox now I spend quite a bit of time opening and closing drawers trying to figure out where the tool I’m looking for is.

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #7  
Recently Bought new toolbox now I spend quite a bit of time opening and closing drawers trying to figure out where the tool I’m looking for is.
My secret to tool location. If I go to the toolbox looking for a screwdriver and I open drawer "A" on two separate occasions I move the screwdrivers to drawer "A".

My solution for others. I put decals on the drawer fronts. Where's your screwdrivers? In the "trailmaster" drawer.

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #8  
I've had a shop since 1993. I've learned that every horizontally flat spot within reach is subject to gathering stuff....

/ Shaping up the tractor shed #9  
My secret to tool location. If I go to the toolbox looking for a screwdriver and I open drawer "A" on two separate occasions I move the screwdrivers to drawer "A".

My solution for others. I put decals on the drawer fronts. Where's your screwdrivers? In the "trailmaster" drawer.
Yes have been considering labeling some of the drawers but will eventually probably just adapt to the new setup.