Senior Care and Property Retention

/ Senior Care and Property Retention #11  
In my moms case, a caretaker (daughters)living with her, changed the house from being only moms assets to being a joint asset. I think that was a three year look back

/ Senior Care and Property Retention
I feel stupid for waiting this long, but I have spoke with an attorney already and plan to meet with another this week. So far it seems like setting up a trust may be the best option.

Yes, my dad was a vet and we just recently got him signed up.

/ Senior Care and Property Retention #13  
Being a vet, he has access to many benefits, depending on his official level of "disability". Talk to his primary physician about caretaker and respite care programs offered by the VA. My father was also a pow, so his benefits are even greater than the norm, so it's hard to give solid advice as to what your father would be entitled to. My father has lived with my wife and I for almost 4 years now and she cares for him full time, we just recently discovered the respite care benefit and are setting that up now.

/ Senior Care and Property Retention #14  
I know a family where the daughter was given a life estate in exchange for being a full time care giver...

When the government came knocking they could sell the property but as long as the daughter lived it was her right to remain... in the end the value of a property where someone has the right to live out their days wasn't much...

When the stakes are large and you only have once shot at getting it right you need to be sure.

/ Senior Care and Property Retention
Being a vet, he has access to many benefits, depending on his official level of "disability". Talk to his primary physician about caretaker and respite care programs offered by the VA. My father was also a pow, so his benefits are even greater than the norm, so it's hard to give solid advice as to what your father would be entitled to. My father has lived with my wife and I for almost 4 years now and she cares for him full time, we just recently discovered the respite care benefit and are setting that up now.

There is also a program that helps pay for caregivers at home. I believe it's called Aid and Attendant