Selling a house, real estate commission

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #81  
What might be the commission of a modular home vs a stick built? lol
I'm afraid to look because I did on modular homes for sale in my area. Thing is, most of them are what I'd call a mobile home, and with up to 2 acres of land, in my rural BFE in NC, anywhere between 200-300k. Almost fell over dead considering what we paid for a 3 story home with 38 or so acres.

May end up getting to the point where we just add a bedroom on our first floor in the garage, build a garage, and we may never sell...

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #82  
Like any profession, you get valuable and useless. In some cases, we have done all the work as the buyer, but some realtor makes 3%. Our most recent sale, the realtor did a decent job with marketing and advice. The problem isn't that realtors exist, it is the way they get paid that creates the bigger problem for me. Percentage of home value shouldn't matter much, but it is incentive for seller's agent to maximize sales price. In some states, the buyer's agent still legally works for the seller (since they get paid out of seller's proceeds). Otherwise, you have a buyers agent who is getting paid a cut and has every personal incentive to push buyers into higher priced homes or to make a more lucrative offer. Maybe buyers agent should get a flat fee or get paid maybe half the difference between list price and sale price (assuming sales price is lower) and get paid from buyer, not seller. Maybe the seller's agent should get paid based on a scorecard on how fast the house sold, how much is sold for as a percentage of list price, and how many actual hours they spent marketing the home. The speed thing would need to be adjusted based on sellers goals and current market trends.

Dad was a Century 21 agent for a few years after he retired from USAF. I know how much work some agents put in and how little others put in. They all get paid and unfortunately, it is not always the hardest workers who make bank.

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #83  
Hard lessons are eventually learned.
I remembered this thread-- as something relevant has occurred.

A neighbor seeks to move out of state. Sell personal residence, sell business real estate property, and buy new out of state personal residence.

As of now here is where these transactions stand:

- the out of state home acquisition closed escrow, blew up thereafter, and is now in expensive litigation.

- the sale of business property was handled without a real estate agent as it was among buyer/seller in the same industry. That also blew up and in the meantime all of the seller's personal property vanished from the commercial property being sold. The Sheriff will not get involved as it is a civil dispute.

- the sale of the personal residence just blew up over a property defect that was (likely) known to the seller but not disclosed. Angry exchanges are occurring among many parties and litigation is possible. The proposed buyer did extensive, expensive inspections which uncovered the defect.

Ahhhh, yes, the simplicity of real estate. Easy money for lazy agents who rake in piles of dough. :D

These transactions seem to have it all-- "go on your own" sellers, greedy real estate agents acting for $$ instead of upholding ethics, and private party transaction with no guardrails at all.

Yes, it's quite a simple game leading to easy money .... lol.

Last edited:
   / Selling a house, real estate commission #84  

A neighbor seeks to move out of state. Sell personal residence, sell business real estate property, and buy new out of state personal residence.

- the out of state home acquisition closed escrow, blew up thereafter, and is now in expensive litigation.

- the sale of business property was handled without a real estate agent as it was among buyer/seller in the same industry. That also blew up and in the meantime all of the seller's personal property vanished from the commercial property being sold. The Sheriff will not get involved as it is a civil dispute.

- the sale of the personal residence just blew up over a property defect that was (likely) known to the seller but not disclosed. Angry exchanges are occurring among many parties and litigation is possible. The proposed buyer did extensive, expensive inspections which uncovered the defect.

Ahhhh, yes, the simplicity of real estate. Easy money for lazy agents who rake in piles of dough. :D

These transactions seem to have it all-- "know it all sellers" who believe they are smarter than real estate professionals, greedy real estate agents acting for $$ instead of upholding ethics, and private party transaction with no guardrails at all.

Your biased though...

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #85  

These transactions seem to have it all-- "know it all sellers" who believe they are smarter than real estate professionals, greedy real estate agents acting for $$ instead of upholding ethics, and private party transaction with no guardrails at all.

A professional makes navigating the pitfalls look easy as it should be…

The key is a professional…

/ Selling a house, real estate commission #86  
Well, the key is a GOOD professional. A pro gets paid to do it. Doesn't mean they are good at it...

The problem isn't that realtors exist, it is the way they get paid that creates the bigger problem for me. Percentage of home value shouldn't matter much, but it is incentive for seller's agent to maximize sales price.
You might think so, but in reality the actual sale price is much less important to them than getting the sale - any sale - is. For example - 300k house, they get 5% so 15k. If you sell it for 310k, they get an extra 500 bucks. 15 k vs 500? if the offer comes in below that, they also lose a small amount but gain the vast bulk of the basic 15k from the sale. The incentive is to sell the place fast, pretty much no matter the price. At least from an agent's perspective. Kind of like turning tables in a restaurant. Much better financially to seat that table one extra time an evening than to get a few extra bucks from each one having dessert.