Saving money by not raising critters

/ Saving money by not raising critters #31  
We played with tanning hides but time was not there. Once we homestead full time we'll revisit that tanning part. Always wanted some buckskin items.

/ Saving money by not raising critters #32  
We would love to go full time too.

/ Saving money by not raising critters #33  
Well the property is paid off and we both can get SS (so we can pay government required rent on said property) in 2024. So end of season 2024 it is time shut the gates and let the dogs and cattle loose. Lot of fence to put up before then.....

/ Saving money by not raising critters #34  
Well the property is paid off and we both can get SS (so we can pay government required rent on said property) in 2024. So end of season 2024 it is time shut the gates and let the dogs and cattle loose. Lot of fence to put up before then.....
Amen Brother.

/ Saving money by not raising critters
Been at my “homestead” for 10 years and love it. But early on decided gardening and raising livestock was not what I wanted to do.

Buying food is not expensive. If we want to save money, we need to eat out less.

We are looking into a firewood side business. With energy costs escalating more folks are buying wood. We do not need to make a living at it, but it looks like $10k profit working part time is achievable.

/ Saving money by not raising critters #36  
See I do that make money thing now, but really would rather spend more time gardening and raising livestock. As it is we don't buy meat and don't need a lot more stock just bit more variety. We add something every year or 2, this year it was Turkeys. Learned a lot and will make adjustments to be able to raise them every year and maybe breed.
We still want pigs and what ever else my bride gets in her head.
Now the gardens need some more attention and the money making gets in the way. Still think this spring I'll redo the entire garden area to make it easier to maintain and increase production.

It's lifestyle choice for us, and spending time with cattle beats any time on the beach or other "vacation" places. Can't remember the last time we ate out...... I traveled a lot for 25 years and don't miss any of it. Never had a better steak than a fresh fillet from a Dexter cooked over an open fire.