RTV900--first two weeks

/ RTV900--first two weeks #1  

rmorgan

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33D; RTV900; Gravely Professional
I've been negotiating with the chief for a Ranger for about four years with impressive resistance--"we only have 36 acres and those things are way too loud and do too much damage and you just can't have one and and and." I wore down the opposition this spring, however, and was looking hard at Rangers, and then learned about the Kubota thanks to Jippy and Dozernut; did a little research, found a worksite model here in Ohio and bought it sight unseen. First impressions:

1. Most importantly, DO NOT let the CFO know that it is dramatically easier to drive this machine than to drive your tractor. The RTV is, unfortunately, unbelievably easy--and fun--to operate. The combination of hydrostatic drive, power steering, remarkable engine braking, and dump bed makes it way too easy for the gardener in the family to make good use of. She loves it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. If you have steep and muddy hills or a creek with steep banks, you WILL need a winch. The Warn 2500 is capable of hauling the RTV up a steep slope, but at least in our situation, the winch is not an option--it is a necessary part of the package. The good news is that the winch is easy to use and so is simply part of the job. Aftermarket ATV tires do look a lot more capable than the worksite model tires, which tend to load up, and may make a big difference.

3. As to Point 2: Although the RTV not surprisingly is not as mud-capable as an ATV, it does do a great job climbing up very steep hills, over logs, etc. My main reason for buying it is to get to the other side of our land, which is down 120' vertical to the creek, across the creek, and up 120' to a previously-unmaintanable plateau. Done, with no complaints except winching up the creek banks.

4. The RTV is, as others have said, in a different category than the Ranger and, I dare say, many (most? all?) incarnations of the Gator. Power steering, diesel engine, hydro, ROPS, full skid protection, and hydraulic dump; 'nuf said. The other side of that point is that it is heavy, but it still is dramatically more turf-friendly than the tractor.

5. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RTV900--first two weeks #2  
Rick -- Thanks for the report! I saw one of these for the first time yesterday and my first thought was, "Hmm, that dump bed would sure come in handy!" My wife's first thought was "Wow, it's adorable!" So I hear you on the wife issue.

We have a Honda Foreman 400 with a trailer for light jobs, but it's not very wife-friendly. After four years she still doesn't have the shift thing down. But it's paid for, and that says a lot.

Question for you: is there a snowplow option for the RTV yet? With all that weight it looks like it would be a decent plowing platform.

Pete

/ RTV900--first two weeks #3  
Yes, there is a snow blade for the RTV. Look under the post by Dozernut about "finally got my RTV". He has a snow blade, cab (heater and all) on his. He has some pics posted of his RTV. As a matter of fact, Dozernut and Jippy were at my little humble abode yesterday and assisted me in installing a really nice winch on my RTV since I am currently recovering from some surgery and was unable to currently install it myself. What great people on this site! Ramsey makes a wireless remote winch that seems to be a great match for the RTV. I've owned several other major brand competitors to the RTV and I'll tell you, hands down, the RTV is currently without any close competitors in this particular market.

/ RTV900--first two weeks #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yes, there is a snow blade for the RTV. Look under the post by Dozernut about "finally got my RTV". He has a snow blade, cab (heater and all) on his. He has some pics posted of his RTV. As a matter of fact, Dozernut and Jippy were at my little humble abode yesterday and assisted me in installing a really nice winch on my RTV since I am currently recovering from some surgery and was unable to currently install it myself. What great people on this site! Ramsey makes a wireless remote winch that seems to be a great match for the RTV. I've owned several other major brand competitors to the RTV and I'll tell you, hands down, the RTV is currently without any close competitors in this particular market. )</font>

So true! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It was great meeting Dargo & Dozernut last week and checking out their RTVs! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RTV900--first two weeks #5  
BTW, I'm glad I helped with your decision to get a RTV! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ RTV900--first two weeks #6  
Glad you like your RTV, they are a great machine. A machine that is a hoot to drive and will work harder than a team of mules is really something.
Jippy and Dargo are a couple of real nice fellow TBNer's and we had a good time albeit too short of a time. I did manage to get a picture of the three of us which I have attached. We sure are three fine looking fellows. I am the one in the middle.

Last edited:
   / RTV900--first two weeks #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Glad you like your RTV, they are a great machine. A machine that is a hoot to drive and will work harder than a team of mules is really something.
Jippy and Dargo are a couple of real nice fellow TBNer's and we had a good time albeit too short of a time. I did manage to get a picture of the three of us which I have attached. We sure are three fine looking fellows. I am the one in the middle. )</font>

LOL...good photo! I'm the guy on the left. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ RTV900--first two weeks
Dozer--

Thanks for the picture, which shows a handsome bunch indeed, and with excellent hats to boot. I could swear I've seen all of you somewhere before; were you on TV, in films, or what? Can't put my finger on it . . .

As to the work you and the boys have undertaken, just a thought -- Seems like you could figure out a way to use the winch on your RTV instead of that old-fashioned carpenter's clamp, and get the job, whatever it is, done a lot faster!!