Rotisseries

/ Rotisseries #11  
Here's one for the "FWIW" department. I cook chickens sometimes on my Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker or my BGE...and I've learned that if you apply the rubb to the chickens the night before, put them in a Baking bag overnight in the frige, the flavor and juiciness are noticeably improved...something akin to brining I suppose. I of course use my own rubb, which works really well for me (recipe posted previously in the BBQ sauce thread).

Like a saftey engineer (belt AND suspenders), I like to brine overnight AND rub the next morning....

Well, that sounds dirty. Sorry. :laughing:

/ Rotisseries #12  
We had big gas grills with rotisserie at 2 different houses. The rotisseries were mostly used for 1 to 2 whole chickens at a time, but I did occasionally do a pork or beef roast, and once did a black bear roast. But now with Sam's Club, and just about all the supermarket type grocery stores, having the rotisserie chickens, we just buy them already cooked.:)

Yep. A fully cooked chicken for $4.99 VS a whole raw chicken for $5.36 the other day.

But the fully cooked one was only a pound and a half, while the whole bird was five or so pounds.

/ Rotisseries #13  
Like a saftey engineer (belt AND suspenders), I like to brine overnight AND rub the next morning....

Well, that sounds dirty. Sorry. :laughing:

I say whatever works. I suspect that my method is a bit easier, and doesn't require any liquid brining. Also, the flavor of the rubb is really absorbed.

/ Rotisseries #14  
Received the fancy "Set it and Forget It" rotisserie for Christmas but haven't tried it yet. We do 3-day meals in the slow-cooker and that has worked well. Sirloin tip roast smelling up the house at this very moment.

/ Rotisseries
We rotisserie mostly whole chicken; sprinkled with a little garlic powder and black pepper.

First night, we'll have legs, thighs etc.

We then strip carcass, and use for sandwiches, tacos, burritos, and other dishes.

The carcass then gets put in a pot to make stock, with some onion, celery etc.

Lastly, the stock gets put in ice trays, frozen, and on to ziplock bags. My wife figured out stock cubes were ~1/4 cup. So if a recipe calls for a cup of chicken stock, we toss in 4 or 5 cubes.

Received the fancy "Set it and Forget It" rotisserie for Christmas but haven't tried it yet. We do 3-day meals in the slow-cooker and that has worked well. Sirloin tip roast smelling up the house at this very moment.

/ Rotisseries #16  
We rotisserie mostly whole chicken; sprinkled with a little garlic powder and black pepper.

First night, we'll have legs, thighs etc.

We then strip carcass, and use for sandwiches, tacos, burritos, and other dishes.

The carcass then gets put in a pot to make stock, with some onion, celery etc.

Lastly, the stock gets put in ice trays, frozen, and on to ziplock bags. My wife figured out stock cubes were ~1/4 cup. So if a recipe calls for a cup of chicken stock, we toss in 4 or 5 cubes.

This sounds perfect for the way we cook too. Cook once and eat for several days. Good call on making chicken stock. Must tell the Wife. We normally will make different "sides" fresh, over the several days the main course is in play.

/ Rotisseries #17  
This sounds perfect for the way we cook too. Cook once and eat for several days. Good call on making chicken stock. Must tell the Wife. We normally will make different "sides" fresh, over the several days the main course is in play.
We also do something similar with salad. We will slice up a bunch of Romaine, then put it in a bowl and cut up various sides to go along with it. The first night might be taco salad, followed by a chef salad or something similar. But we have different tastes in toppings (for example I like tomatoes but not black olives and my wife likes black olives but not tomatoes), so the toppings are always on the side to be added when it goes on your plate. That way everybody gets what they want, and the base salad seems to last longer without the toppings added in.

Aaron Z