Rake Rock Rake for Rocks?

/ Rock Rake for Rocks? #1  

MarkGrabb

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1759
Hello All.

We have a MF1759 and 22 acres of loamy soil. The soil produces softball sized rocks... of course some smaller and some larger... but very few the size of a bowling ball and relatively few smaller than a baseball.

Short of a rock picker (I just don't want to spend the money) - what is the best way to remove the rocks?

I don't have a landscape (rock) rake, but that I would be willing to buy.

Many thanks,
Mark
Burnt Hills, New York

/ Rock Rake for Rocks? #2  
I bought a rock rake for the same purpose. It removed to much soil for me and just did not work the way I hoped. I sold it to a buddy for little to nothing for his driveway.

I picked up rocks for years and it is never ending at my place. Wish there was a market for them as I would be rich! Hopefully someone will have a good suggestion for us both! ;)

/ Rock Rake for Rocks? #3  
I removed yards and yards of rocks from gravel size to 8-10” with my rake. The ground has to be dry and the angle (top link length) is critical.

Someone gave me some advice (on here I think) to use a chain instead of a solid top link which made it work far better and able to float when the tractor ran through ruts instead of digging in.

It’s not perfect but moved 90% of the rocks to the ends where I could scoop them up.

I’ll try to find some pictures to attach but it’s an area about 200 x 300 with a 3’ step in the middle.

/ Rock Rake for Rocks? #4  
k every other tine out of my LR and it worked a lot better at not dragging soil along. I finally gave up on the ones less than 2". Over 5 years I accumulated about 5 CY of rocks from 2-8". Every year go over the same areas and collect more of the same. In loose garden soil I set the tines about 5" deep for first pass then 2" for a second pass.

Ron

/ Rock Rake for Rocks? #5  
The York rake or rock rake with at least every other tine removed and possibly 2 out of every 3 when run at an angle will windrow your smaller rocks on the surface.
The best way would be to rent a rotary rock rake and picker, rent a rake for a day and windrow them, return the rake and rent the rock picker for a couple of days.
If you are just looking at removing the surface rocks the Harley rakes will windrow them nicely for you.

I just went up and looked at your location, you could check with Whites up in Schaghticoke on Rt. 40.
You most likely used Abele Tractor for your tractor they could possibly hook you up with a rental tractor and rock rake.
Or someone that has one that might do some custom work.
Your 1759 might be a bit light to work a rotary rock rake and picker

/ Rock Rake for Rocks?
I removed yards and yards of rocks from gravel size to 8-10” with my rake. The ground has to be dry and the angle (top link length) is critical.

Someone gave me some advice (on here I think) to use a chain instead of a solid top link which made it work far better and able to float when the tractor ran through ruts instead of digging in.

It’s not perfect but moved 90% of the rocks to the ends where I could scoop them up.

I’ll try to find some pictures to attach but it’s an area about 200 x 300 with a 3’ step in the middle.

Thanks for the tip on using a chain in replace of the top link. That tip seems at odds with the top link length (hence rake angle) being critical, but nothing beats real results. Many many thanks.

/ Rock Rake for Rocks? #8  
The length is still critical to get the right amount of bite but the give allows it to ride up instead of digging in when the tractor goes through a rut.

I was starting with quite rough ground and with the solid link every surface imperfection was reproduced by the rake so after several passes it was more uneven than when I started. With the chain it mostly eliminates this.