rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #1  

Cbrightnow106

Tractor
Rk55
my rk55 is acting like the battery is dead while trying to get it started. you turn the key and it clicks like the battery is dead. after doing this multiple times it decides to finally start and run normally anyone else have this problem?

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #2  
Maybeeee.....your battery is dead???? Or has a bad cell. or is going bad.

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #3  
The cause of your problem is likely corrosion under the battery clamps, which you can remove with a stiff wire brush.

Corrosion can decrease voltage to the starter by .25 to 1.0 volts.

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #4  
When you turn the ignition switch to the start position voltage is sent to a relay (clicking sound) voltage from the relay is sent to the solenoid on the starter. This causes the solenoid to collapse providing direct battery voltage to the starter which spins the engine creating compression in the piston cylinders which ignites the diesel fuel which starts the engine.

Using a volt OHM meter check the battery voltage by placing the black lead on the negative post of the battery and the red led on the positive post of the battery. The negative post is the smaller of the two post on the battery and usually has a black wire connected to it by a black cable with a compression end to connect to the negative battery post.

You will probably find 12 and more volts exists in your battery.

Next check the small wire coming to the starter solenoid from the relay-ignition - switch. Do this by disconnecting the wire to the starter and connecting the red wire from the volt OHM to this wire. Connect the black lead to a good clean location on the tractor frame. Next turn the switch to the start position do you have 12 or more volt?

If no voltage work back to the relay and see if voltage is coming to the switch from the ignition switch To the relay when the switch is turned to the start position.

If voltage is coming to the relay and not leaving the relay is bad.

To confirm this apply the brakes on the tractor. Place the tractor in neutral. Turn the ignition switch to run and then follow the direction here.

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #5  
Good info. The click means that there is inadequate voltage across the starter terminals to cause enough current through the starter to spin it. Causes are usually 3:
1. Battery defective: Is sulphated up and has excessive internal resistancen or has a low charge....they self bleed over time so a trickle charger can keep them fully charged and prevent such....ebay has them for about 8 bucks....but you need access to 120V and remote barns usually don't have power. Auto parts stores can load test the battery for you. 11V at 300 amperes is a good number for < 100 hp tractors. (opinion)
2. As stated, somewhere the terminals are dirty and its the inside of the connection not the part you can see...so they need to be disassembled for cleaning. There is a battery tool for doing what Jeff said...auto parts stores have them. Ground for most starters is the battery Neg. (-) lead is usually tied to the engine casting via a bolt and current flows through the casting to the case of the starter via the starter to casting interface. Those internal surfaces and bolt connections need to be clean and tight.
3. Starter solenoid (on a lot of tractors it is mounted on the starter) is old and pitted internally and also could have dirty external contacts on the high current 3/8" studs. The pitting reduces the current carrying capacity of the solenoid.

I like to have 10V across the starter case to (+) input terminal while the starter is spinning. If it isn't that high don't expect stellar results and the above culprits have been my problem over the years.

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #6  
As has already been said in so many words, i suspect you will fix your problem entirely by spending 2 minutes with one of these:

1680723979750.png

Aka 'battery brush'

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #7  
Personally I always check battery terminals first..... When getting a new battery or doing any needed maintained on some newly acquired vehicle I always clean battery post with a light abrasive and in side of clamp, then neutralize battery top and clamp with bicarbonate of soda and water, dry off and coat battery post and clamp generously with a dielectric grease...... I have had functional batteries up to 8 years and never had a corrosion problem ...

Weapon of choice for corrosion preventive....

NOOXID-ASpecial_2.jpg