Tractor Sizing RK 24- what can it lift?

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #1  

swwiii

Tractor
None yet
I believe the rk 24 will work well for me on our small farm. But before i pull the trigger on one, i would like to know if it will be big enough to handle helping our older neighbor. I have read all the stats and know theoretically what it will lift (i.e. tph 1058lbs at 24 inches). What i dont know or am too dumb to figure out is will this lift and move a 4x4 round bale of hay? With tph or with hay spike on fel? Any help would be much appreciated.

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #2  
How much do round bales weigh where you live?

Dry round bales weigh 800 to 1,400 pounds but as a round bale projects forward of of the FEL the effective bale load will exceed the lift capacity of 1,058 pounds stated. Keep in mind Bale Spear is part of FEL load, so attachment weight must be deducted from payload capacity.

If you could lift a bale with FEL, light tractor would be VERY unstable.

While some move round bales on the FEL with a 4,000 pound bare weight tractor, the consensus holds safe, routine transport of round bales via FEL requires a 5,000 pound bare weight tractor with ample Three Point Hitch counterbalance mounted.

Will RK24 lift and move a 4x4 round bale of hay with tph bale spike or pallet forks?
What is the RK24 3-Pt. lift capacity?

I believe the RK 24 will work well on our small farm.

Subcompact tractors with a mid-mount-mower are excellent residential mowing platforms. With optional FEL, good for residential use as a powered wheelbarrow. Few choose a subcompact tractor for farm/garden applications on more than one or two working acres.

Multiple reasons owner/operators trade up from Subcompact Tractors:

~More tractor weight.

~More FEL lift capacity.

~More ground clearance.

~Three-range (3) HST (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH) ~~ rather than two-range (2) HST.

~Larger wheels and tires have a larger tire/tread "patch" in contact with the soil. Larger wheels and tires bridge small holes, ruts and tree debris maintaining traction, which stall subcompact tractors. As a result, larger wheels/tires yield more tractive power pulling ground contact implements and logs, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires decrease operator perturbation operating over rough ground.

Last edited:
   / RK 24- what can it lift? #4  
If it is a dry 4 by 4 round bail they weight usually 500-600 lbs. could you lift it? Yes, but you would need a weight on the three point hitch and you’ll stressing the tractor. You would have to keep the bail low to the ground and you would be better off with the RK-37.

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #5  
I believe the rk 24 will work well for me on our small farm. But before i pull the trigger on one, i would like to know if it will be big enough to handle helping our older neighbor. I have read all the stats and know theoretically what it will lift (i.e. tph 1058lbs at 24 inches). What i dont know or am too dumb to figure out is will this lift and move a 4x4 round bale of hay? With tph or with hay spike on fel? Any help would be much appreciated.

It might lift it, but I don't think you want to wrestle that much weight with that light of a tractor. The RK24 with loader is just short of 2100 lbs. If you are doing that you may want to consider one of the compact sized 24 hp tractors. Tractors like the Kioti CK1024 have much higher loader capacities and will be much more stable. Ideally, something closer to a utility class tractor would be used for loading bales. The smaller ones will lift one, but make sure it is well ballasted and you are on stable ground if you are trying to lift it more than a couple feet off the ground.

The RK24 is a stout little tractor for what it is, but it can only do so much.

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #6  
Few choose a subcompact tractor for farm/garden applications on more than one or two working acres.

If they do it is usually a second tractor. They can go places that other tractors can't and they are handy for property maintenance. I've seen more than one used for cleaning out stalls and mowing in close to the buildings. It is all a matter of choosing the right tool from the toolbox.

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #7  
Folks somewhere some place someone failed to pay attention!
The op stated “tph” lift weight at 24 inches to be 1058 lbs.
Whoever failed to pay attention when from “tph” to FEL. TPH would translate to 3 point hitch. I realize that tph is mot the most common shorthand, but come on folks.

Now for me to address his question, your 24” distance will roughly be at the ball location on your lower lift arms. All the weight of your 3ph hay spear and your bale will be past this point.
Long story short, working in top form the RK24 will lift the lightest of these bales dry, and probably needs added weight in the front to safely steer the tractor. Once the tractor gets some wear and that capacity drops a bit, you will have troubles lifting the lightest of the bales.
If that is a major usage/purpose for the tractor, you need to look at a bigger tractor.

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #8  
Folks somewhere some place someone failed to pay attention!
The op stated 鍍ph lift weight at 24 inches to be 1058 lbs.
Whoever failed to pay attention when from 鍍ph to FEL. TPH would translate to 3 point hitch. I realize that tph is mot the most common shorthand, but come on folks.

Now for me to address his question, your 24 distance will roughly be at the ball location on your lower lift arms. All the weight of your 3ph hay spear and your bale will be past this point.
Long story short, working in top form the RK24 will lift the lightest of these bales dry, and probably needs added weight in the front to safely steer the tractor. Once the tractor gets some wear and that capacity drops a bit, you will have troubles lifting the lightest of the bales.
If that is a major usage/purpose for the tractor, you need to look at a bigger tractor.

The op also asked about a hay spike on the fel......so all of the responses were relevant

/ RK 24- what can it lift? #9  

I’ve own and have used the RK19 and 24. I would use a Hay spear out back. Front end loader work with both is sketchy, when near their limits.