Ridiculous fuel filter location?

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location? #1  

rsl360

Tractor
electrak e12, e15, e20, Terramite T9 4WD
Ridiculous fuel filter location? I'm wondering if it's just my machine. (T9, diesel, 4wd) The electric fuel pump is bolted to the skid plate that is under the transmission. So to get to the pre-filter, one has to lower the skid plate partway, unbolt the electric fuel pump, and then remove the skid plate completely. This is awkward. Also, the pump barely fits between the hydraulic hoses. (though the latter might just be an issue with the 4WD, there are a lot of hoses.)

I'm thinking it would be better to mount the fuel pump on something like a 1/4"x2" plate, bolted across independently of the skid plate. You still have to take the skid plate off for service of the pump and filter, but at least the plate is not pulling on the fuel lines and electric line as you lower it. Also, the pre-filter is so close to the tank that there is no room to pinch off the fuel line to change the filter, I have to drain the tank.

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location? #2  
I'm even more confused than usual. If your machine is a diesel it can't be your Electrak. I put T9 into a search engine and came up with a Terramite. Is that what it is?
At any rate I feel your pain. Sometimes, I think machines are intentionally designed to be hard to service so I have to take them to the dealer.

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location?
I'm even more confused than usual. If your machine is a diesel it can't be your Electrak. I put T9 into a search engine and came up with a Terramite. Is that what it is?

Sorry, I did not realize that folk paid attention to the bio stuff. So yes, I have a T9 in addition to the electraks.

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location? #4  
I feel your pain..
I had to make a service call to the LAND FILL IN CHARLESTON SC.. Their steel wheel Bomag garbage squasher would get to the TOP of the garbage pile & shut off.. & took forever to restart..
Naturally I had to get the operator to duplicate the problem.. UP he goes.. yup, it shut off..
The fuel filter/water separator was unreachable.. nowhere in site.. guess where it was??
UNDER the engine, incased in the belly pan..
So there I am, laying in 5000 tons of Charlestons finest garbage, UNDER a steel wheeled machine, removing a 200 lb steel sheet, just to get to a 20.00 filter.. in the middle of July..

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location? #5  
I feel your pain..
I had to make a service call to the LAND FILL IN CHARLESTON SC.. Their steel wheel Bomag garbage squasher would get to the TOP of the garbage pile & shut off.. & took forever to restart..
Naturally I had to get the operator to duplicate the problem.. UP he goes.. yup, it shut off..
The fuel filter/water separator was unreachable.. nowhere in site.. guess where it was??
UNDER the engine, incased in the belly pan..
So there I am, laying in 5000 tons of Charlestons finest garbage, UNDER a steel wheeled machine, removing a 200 lb steel sheet, just to get to a 20.00 filter.. in the middle of July..

Phew!

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location? #6  
I'm thinking it would be better to mount the fuel pump on something like a 1/4"x2" plate, bolted across independently of the skid plate.

Sounds like a good plan. I would have suggested something like that but you got there first.

Also, the pre-filter is so close to the tank that there is no room to pinch off the fuel line to change the filter, I have to drain the tank.

Is there room to move the filter far enough away to put in a length of line or even better, some type of cut-off valve?

/ Ridiculous fuel filter location?
Is there room to move the filter far enough away to put in a length of line or even better, some type of cut-off valve?
There is. This is what I ended up doing:
T9NewFilterInstall.jpg
Sorry, I don't have a "before" picture.