Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
You can take a regular tap and cut it in half and you have a bottom tap.
I thought about that, but then I would still have to buy a new tap, so I just figured I'd get the proper tap to begin with. I have other things to do until the tap gets here.
Of course, when I order from McMaster-Carr I usually get the parts the next day or so, since they come out of Chicago, but for some reason, this order was shipped out of Goodyear, AZ, near Phoenix and won't be here until Friday. Go figure.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #522  
I thought about that, but then I would still have to buy a new tap, so I just figured I'd get the proper tap to begin with. I have other things to do until the tap gets here.
Of course, when I order from McMaster-Carr I usually get the parts the next day or so, since they come out of Chicago, but for some reason, this order was shipped out of Goodyear, AZ, near Phoenix and won't be here until Friday. Go figure.
Oh ok I didn't know if that's all you were waiting on. I've cut the end off of many taps to get threads to the bottom when I didn't have a bottom tap.

Oh ok I didn't know if that's all you were waiting on. I've cut the end off of many taps to get threads to the bottom when I didn't have a bottom tap.
I have a couple of bottoming taps, but not a 1/4"-28, of course.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #524  
Does MSC have a storefront in Elkhart?

Does MSC have a storefront in Elkhart?
Yes, down on the south side of town, but I have had some bad service there, so I'm not going back. Prices are higher than McMaster-Carr, too.

Dropped the wheels off at the powder coat shop today, he thought they'd have them done end of next week. They can't do two colors, so I'll just paint the black areas.
Took some time and cleaned the bench off this afternoon. Also went to the electrical supply in town and bought three 8 foot LED lights to replace the ones in the bay over the Nova. Went to wire them with a power cord, but the wires were in the center of the fixtures, so the 3 foot cords weren't long enough and went back to exchange them for 6 footers.
I did install the springs on the hood hinges, was pretty easy with the bars I installed in them to keep them stretched out part way.
The tap and set screws arrived this evening, so I can work on finishing up the parking brake cables tomorrow.
Now I'm looking at the exhaust X pipe under the car, as it hangs down lower than I like. I may take it off and turn it over as it's got a slight bend ahead of the X that should raise it up a couple of inches. The only problem is that since the engine and transmission are offset towards the passenger side of the car, the right side pipe is pretty close to the driveshaft. I might have to bend it out an inch or so to get more clearance. Then again, it might not work at all. I guess I'll see.

IMG_20240418_170117659_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231211_133508930.jpg

Last edited:
This weekend, I pulled the X-pipe out of the car and turned it over hoping that would raise the pipe enough, but not too much. But, with it turned over and all the pipes connected, it was right up against the drive shaft. Took it back off and made some cuts in the short pipes ahead of the X so they came out pretty much straight and tacked them in place. Put it back in and after a couple more adjustments, installing and removing it, I got the best position I could. The X-pipe hangs about
1 1/2" below the driveshaft now, so that's acceptable. It's probably a couple of inches higher now than it was, so it looks better too. While the X-pipe and the pipes that connect to the headers were off, I went over them with the Scotchbrite pads and polished them up a little.
Next, I installed the last of the parts on the parking brake cable and that is finished up. They even work pretty well when the pedal is applied.
Today I fixed the wiring on the rear side markers where I had wired them to blink with the turn signals. Problem was, they came on with the brake lights too, since it doesn't have separate turn and brake light bulbs. I just wasn't thinking correctly when I wired them initially, but they're fixed now and I also installed LED bulbs in them.
I also worked on getting the trunk lid to fit better, as the right rear corner was sticking out too far and the side gaps were off. A block of wood wrapped in rags, a dead blow hammer, and some not so gentle persuasion made it line up better, as did some adjustment on the hinges.
After looking over the trim rings for the wheels, I decided to order a new set. Every one either had dents of curb rash, so I decides to replace all of them. I had a coupon for a 15% discount on an order over $100, si I used that to save a few bucks.
I also spent a couple of hours consolidating leftover parts into fewer storage bins, and taking pictures of some parts that I'm going to post for sale on Steve's Nova Site.
A couple of weeks ago, the gentleman that did the glass work for me suddenly passed away, so today I called his phone and talked to his son. Apparently to autopsy showed he had a heart attack, but his son said the family felt he died if a broken heart, as his wife of over 50 years had passed away last year, and he had really taken it hard, and never really recovered from the shock. I explained that he had gotten new glass for the Nova, and hadn't installed it yet, that it was paid for, and could I pick it up come days so I could have another installer put it in. He said no problem, and he's locate it and give me a call so I could pick it up. He even recommended another installer that specializes in classic car glass service. That's good news.

Looks like I'm going to have to mow the grass for the first time this weekend, it's getting pretty tall.

IMG_20240419_170952241_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240419_173148648_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240420_161339226.jpg
IMG_20240420_161356402.jpg