Rear Finish Mower Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600 #1  

Cessna09

Tractor
Case International 485
All three spindles on my FTH 600 need new bearings, so I took the blades off, unbolted the spindle from underneath the housing, removed nut on pulley on upper side, and ran into a brick wall trying to get the pulleys off the shaft. Local Bush Hog dealer indicated there's no way to save the pulleys. At this point I don't care...just want them off. The pulleys are resting against the mower deck, and I've already sacrificed a spindle (no problem). I'm thinking the other 2 will be casualties too. I just can't get them loose, not even with a sledge. Don't have a cutting torch but am thinking that is the only solution. Any ideas. Thanks guys.

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600 #2  
Cessna, before you start cutting with a torch and destroying pieces and parts, you may save some damage (money) by taking a look at this. I do not have this specific Harbor Freight tool (Item #30305). My particular one is decades old, but this is the same concept and may be of use to you. Take a look. It says it is good for up to 3" diameter. It can be used on gears, bearings and pulleys, anything mounted on a shaft that has limited backspacing. Depending on your implement you may not have enough room to use one of these, but it may be worth looking at.

Also, I know some swear by PB Blaster. I have never used it. I have used a product by the name of Aerokroil. It is used a lot by heavy industry where downtime is costly. You will not find it at Auto Parts Stores, only at Industrial Supply houses. Good luck with your project.

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600
Cessna, before you start cutting with a torch and destroying pieces and parts, you may save some damage (money) by taking a look at this. I do not have this specific Harbor Freight tool (Item #30305). My particular one is decades old, but this is the same concept and may be of use to you. Take a look. It says it is good for up to 3" diameter. It can be used on gears, bearings and pulleys, anything mounted on a shaft that has limited backspacing. Depending on your implement you may not have enough room to use one of these, but it may be worth looking at.

Also, I know some swear by PB Blaster. I have never used it. I have used a product by the name of Aerokroil. It is used a lot by heavy industry where downtime is costly. You will not find it at Auto Parts Stores, only at Industrial Supply houses. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Awsum. I looked at the tool you mention (which BTW is on sale now) but it's not big enough to handle this, and yet is too big to fit between the pulley and housing. But looking at it gave me an idea to drill through the pulley on both sides and see if I can put a bolt through with a nut on the back. Getting the nut on will be difficult due to space limitation, but I think it's doable. Then I can use a harmonic balancer puller, but I still have my doubts about budging it.

The pulleys are too lightweight to hook a puller on to the outside, but they have a heavy duty hub and it's stubborn. The pulley's are a bit rusty so replacing them is not a big concern...about $20 each. I don't know where locally I can get the PB Blaster. I have some pretty good stuff, but nothing I have soaked them in has worked. I appreciate the reply. I could have used that gear puller a few days ago on another job. Might pick up one this week when I'm down in Houston.

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600 #4  
Cessna, could you post a photo of the underside of your mower so we can get an idea of the limitations you have?

Houston is a big city and the HF tool is not the only one made. You may be able to Google gear pullers and find another that better fits you needs. With Houston being available you, you may be able to pick it up while you are down there. I have not regretted having mine on the shelf even though I do not use it as much as I used to. Let us know how things turn out. Several of us could probably learn something from this exercise.

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600 #5  
I know it's a late reply but I'm in the process of rebuilding my finishing mower now and I found it rather easy to get the pulleys off but I had to sacrifice a socket to do it so I took the spindle loose from the deck and then slip the socket over the top of the bolt so as not to damage the grease fitting was able to drive the pulley out of the deck and then use the deck to drive the spindle out of the pulley FYI the socket was destroyed

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600
Hey, Guys. I am So Sorry I never got back to this to let you all know what worked for me. I actually thought I had. Thoughtless of me, though. I do appreciate all the chiming in. What actually worked was PB Blaster, suggested by you awesome AWSUM.
Bought it at WalMart. I had used WD40 and another rust buster I had (don't remember the name but it was a Valvoline product). I had let it sit overnight soaked in that, and then banged with all my might on the shafts, already having determined they were going to be toast if/when I ever got them out, with a 16 lb sledge hammer. I had also tried heat. Sprayed PB Blaster on it and let it sit overnight and went out and knocked them out with ease. I was amazed. New bearings, shafts, and a new belt and it is like new. Oh, as far as limitations Awsum, there were none. Taking the whole spindle assembly loose from the housing was no problem, but it then had to drop out of the bottom, and the belt pulley on top had to come off for that to happen. Getting that off was the problem. PB Blaster is now a staple in my shop. Thanks Duane for your post which reminded me to come back to this.

/ Replacing bearings, spindles in Bush Hog FTH 600 #7  
Hey, Guys. I am So Sorry I never got back to this to let you all know what worked for me. I actually thought I had. Thoughtless of me, though. I do appreciate all the chiming in. What actually worked was PB Blaster, suggested by you awesome AWSUM.
Bought it at WalMart. I had used WD40 and another rust buster I had (don't remember the name but it was a Valvoline product). I had let it sit overnight soaked in that, and then banged with all my might on the shafts, already having determined they were going to be toast if/when I ever got them out, with a 16 lb sledge hammer. I had also tried heat. Sprayed PB Blaster on it and let it sit overnight and went out and knocked them out with ease. I was amazed. New bearings, shafts, and a new belt and it is like new. Oh, as far as limitations Awsum, there were none. Taking the whole spindle assembly loose from the housing was no problem, but it then had to drop out of the bottom, and the belt pulley on top had to come off for that to happen. Getting that off was the problem. PB Blaster is now a staple in my shop. Thanks Duane for your post which reminded me to come back to this.

Fellas, I know I'm real late jumping into this thread but thought I'd share for anyone else who stumbles across it. I have an FTH-720, that had been sitting out 10 years. What I ended up using is a hydraulic gear puller from Harbor Freight. You have to take out grease fitting (I messed up one before I figured this out) and I also used PB Blaster in addition. I used the 5 ton version:

5 Ton Three Jaw Hydraulic Gear Puller

image_13435.jpg