Loader Repair of lift cylinder on 148 Loader

/ Repair of lift cylinder on 148 Loader #1  

okrancher

Tractor
JD 4030
I have a 148 Loader for my JD 4030 and need to do some work on replacing the seals on the two lift cylinders. I have the seal kits and a diagram of the various parts in the cylinder. There are two snap rings on the same end of the cylinder. One snap ring is fairly easy to remove....it is externally set and the end cap. But the other snap ring is internal in the end cap. How do I get this one out? I could sure use some wise help on this. Thanks in advance.

/ Repair of lift cylinder on 148 Loader #2  
Remove hose on the rod end from cylinder and use a screwdriver down through the hole the fitting on the cyl. to pop snap ring off it's groove. Then slid end cap,piston & rod out of cyl.

/ Repair of lift cylinder on 148 Loader #3  
I realize that this reply is quite late to the original question, but when I was looking for information to rebuild the lift cylinder in my 148 loader, I came across this question and response. And, at least on the lift cylinders on my loader, the response is incorrect. The angle to reach the ring can't be done with a screwdriver through that opening.

What I ended up doing was to tap the ring with a screwdriver, unseating it into the cylinder, then using a hook to pull the ring out. I pulled it out quickly because I didn't want the ring to reseat, but that may not have made any difference. The biggest challange to me has been getting the piston back into the cylinder. I finally used my hydraulic floor jack, pushing the piston and cylinder against the support beam in my basement. No amount of tapping around the seal would get it to go in.

/ Repair of lift cylinder on 148 Loader #4  
Sounds like you did everything correctly. The "V" packings on the piston are very tight when new. just grease them up good to help prevent cutting them.