Reciever hitch

/ Reciever hitch #1  

skipperbrown

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota b2650, bx2200, L3940 (gone), New Holland FWD TN85, RTV 900
Here is my version of a reciever hitch for a bx2200. It has a 6" receiver tube purchased from a hitch shop, 18" of 2"x 1/4" tube, and 12" of 2"x 1/4" bar I picked up from a scrap steel dealer. It weighs about 20 lbs and bolts onto a cat 1 drawbar.

I slide a cargo carrier purchased for $60 from Walmart into the receiver and it becomes my carry all. I put 3 80lb bags of sackcret on the carrier for ballast when lifting heavy loads w/ the fel.

If I did it again I'd make the vertical tube shorter and the horizonal/verticle bar parts longer. As it is, the toplink will dent the sheet metal just a bit on the bx (see photo-oops) and bend the toplink where it attaches to the verticle post.

mark

Attachments

• 53-153606-P5270002.jpg
    53-153606-P5270002.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,133
   / Reciever hitch #2  
Mark
Your receiver hitch looks great. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I built one very similar to yours for my 2910.
Using the 3PH draw bar makes the project easy.
I haven’t painted mine yet. When I do I’ll post a picture.

/ Reciever hitch #3  
That receiver looks good. I like the idea of using the carry all thing on the back for ballast.

Something folks might consider for weights is visiting the local scrap yard. I've got my anvil sitting on a chunk of iron that's ten inches wide, sixteen inches long, and eighteen inches high. The yard said it was eight hundred and forty pounds. My bud with the pocket tape measure and calculator was adamant about it really weighing 937 lbs.

I don't if any of ya'll have a bud that carries a tape in his pants pocket with his keyes and a calculator in his shirt pocket. They can drive you crazy. There's only just so much you can know. Why would anyone want to get involved with details?

I have the receiver hitch on the back of my truck like most folks do. I also have another one sitting on the front on a little pipe deally do I made. Those can carry trailer hitches. They also can hold my pipe knotchers. Or they can hold one of the vises I carry on the truck. And then there's the metal bender that I carry that is also set up to go into the receivers.

I made up a pair of T's that fit in them. These are for carrying long things. When I made the truck bed I didn't want to have a permanent rack sitting up there in the wind so I made some temporaries. I have had four pieces of four by eight with a three eighths wall rectangular tubing up on those racks. The pieces of tubing was twenty four feet long and according to the steel supply weighed just under seven hundred pounds a piece.

I also have two more receivers built into the back corners of the bed, again for the tools.

Another thing that I have found is that you can't have too many tie downs. So all over my truck I've attached these little floating D rings. I pick up mine at a trailer supply wholesale house. You can't have too many cause not all the loads are regular shaped. Besides that with the T's I not only have to tie down the load so it won't slip. I also have to tie it so that the weight is working only against the strongest parts of the framework. My tie downs are like guy wires if you will.

BTW the smartest man to ever walk the face of the earth was that individual that came up with that floating D ring on those small ratchet straps. I've done things with those straps their manufacturer would have dreamed of and mostly because of the flexibility that little floating D ring gives me.

/ Reciever hitch #4  
Hey, can I see some pics of the front mounted receiver hitch? I've been wanting to build one for some time and your pics will help.

/ Reciever hitch #5  
Now that's the best idea I've seen yet - makes the most of the drawbar and is flexible .... I like flexible ... ie: take it off when you dun't want it and use the drawbar for something else.
mike

/ Reciever hitch #6  
Here is a pic of a front receiver. The best use I have for it for one of those extension shelf things people put behind their car for ice chests and stuff. I have one on the front of my M6800 for tools and herbicide jugs and exery thing else. It is a ten square foot shelf! Works so good I only take it off when I have to.

Attachments

• 53-155344-FRONTRECEIVER.JPG
    53-155344-FRONTRECEIVER.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 723
   / Reciever hitch #7  
That receiver hitch on the front paid for itself yesterday evening.

We was in heavy Dallas Friday evening traffic. Thirty five was blocked northbound so I hit the surface streets. Three lanes, me in the right one, and cars everywhere. I had the trailer with me so we were pushing sixty feet total length which is thrill a minute in heavy traffic. We was probably doing twenty when an Expedition decided it wanted one of two car lengths that I was allowing for stopping. Traffic stopped dead. I had them all grabbing but I still hit him. He hit the car in front of him and then little import plowed into the trailer.

The guy in front of the Expedition decided his damage was miniscule if at all and he waved good bye. I'd bet the proverbial hole to the donut he either didn't have a proper driver's license or insurance or both.

The guy in the little truck did quite a bit of cosmetic damage to the front end but nothing to keep him from driving away. That he did after making sure there wasn't any damage to the trailer. I'd gamble on him also being short on insurance or understanding that liability was doing him no good and since we weren't hurt.......

The Expedition had it's factory bumper and receiver hitch reconfigured. A novice guess on my part would guesstimate his angle of entry to the receiver now about thirty five to thirty six degrees if normal was ninety.

My aftermarket receiver on the front with it's bumper sustained a couple of scratches. Of course since I hit him from behind chances are most likely my insurance company will pick up the tab to straighten out his truck.

I'll be taking pictures down at the shop tomorrow. I'll try to remember to catch one of Moby's buck toofy.

/ Reciever hitch #8  
I would deffinately argue that the other vehicle, by changing into your 'stopping distance' area at the last minute caused the crash. If there is a lawsuit.. your ins. carrier should represent you.. but they may want to just pay and not litigate...

Soundguy