Backhoe Received the backhoe bucket!

/ Received the backhoe bucket! #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Now, I just got to figure out how to attach it!

This thing is a heavy duty monstrosity weighing 60 lbs (it's only 8 inches wide but I think it's heavier than the 48" bucket!) I didn't actually measure it, but it looks like it's all 1/4" thick steel.

The bucket has two pairs of "eyes" with two pins slightly larger diameter than the PT pins. The eyes are welded to the top of the bucket. I need to convert this "two pins on the top" configuration to a "3 pins on the back" hookup.

I'm thinking that two pieces of channel (back to back) with holes that match up to the two pins on the top of the bucket will give me a point to connect the curl arm to. The eyes are just a little too wide to be able to use the PT pin.

Then, some channel bolted across the back of the bucket with large U-bolts will give me a spot to mount the two lift arms to. I think bolted this fixture onto the bottom back of the bucket should work fine, as the forces when digging will be pushing on the back bottom of the bucket rather pulling on it.

I know it's hard to visualize what I'm saying. I'll try to take some pics and post them...probably not tonight, but maybe later in the week...

Dave

/ Received the backhoe bucket! #2  
Dave,

Look forward to seeing pictures of your project, as well as hearing how it works.

Duane

/ Received the backhoe bucket!
I was taking some measurements on this bucket last night when I noticed there was a label on the inside that said "Lackender Fabrications". Apparently, Lackender provides the backhoe buckets and arms that Northern Tool sells. There ya go.

Anyway, a picture of this 8" trencher bucket is at the URL below, middle of the page, the smallest one without teeth.
As you can see, the two pins/connection points are on the top front and top back of the bucket. For my mounting deal, the front pin simply won't be used. I'll use the back pin as the point that the curl arm connects to. I'll have to cut/drill/bolt a 20" piece of steel channel onto the back of the bucket. I've picked up some large U-bolts that I can then attach this piece of channel to make the holes to mount the lift arms to. (My old tractor has the 3-pin attachment method rather than the quick attach, if you guys recall...)

The pins in the trencher bucket are 1" diameter, but the pins used by PT are 3/4" or 5/8". (They appear to be between that, but have worn down to 5/8".) I can't use the same pin on the top link because the pin is too short (the original 1" pin in the trencher bucket is 6" long), but I've picked up an 5/8" x 8" bolt that should do the trick. I will be able to use the PT pins on the two lift arms. Think using a 5/8" pin in a 1" hole will cause any problems? Should I look for some metal bushings to make it a tighter fit?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lackender-fab.com/pricing.htm>http://www.lackender-fab.com/pricing.htm</A>

Dave

/ Received the backhoe bucket! #4  
I'd use bushings. When you are digging, lots of dirt will end up in there and make it harder to pivot eventually. Have you checked into bushings and pins for "traditional" 3PT cat1, cat2 and cat3 hitches? They might be close to what you need and are relatively cheap at TSC stores.

/ Received the backhoe bucket!
Good idea. I'll check around...

Dave