Rear Reflector to LED Taillight Conversion / Upgrade

/ Rear Reflector to LED Taillight Conversion / Upgrade #1  

Shaman

I know there are a couple other threads on this, but wanted to help contribute:

- Proof of Concept - LED POC Test Video
Quick video showing reflector cutout and LED Fitting.
  1. Reflector Cutout Fitting
  2. LED and Controller Test
  3. Confirm, then order second set of LEDs
There was a logical cut out area. I cut it, measured, and ordered 1 set of LEDs. Now that the fit is confirmed, I'll order the second set, get the T-splitter delivered, and record and list all the parts.
- Parts List: Primary Parts List Laid Out
Sorry if some of the links go dead across the years this post will be up.
Some amounts were more than required, but always good to have extra left-overs laying around.
You can go cheaper on some things, like wire strippers, I just listed what I already owned or bought.

Ordered front to back, assumes soldering/Crimps when not SAE.
  1. IP68 Cable Splitter (Power/Ground Take-Off): IP68 Waterproof Cable Connector Waterproof Junction Box 2 or 3 Pin Cables
  2. SAE Fuse (in-line): 30A In-Line Fuse Holder 16 Gauge Wiring Harness
  3. LED Controller (Solder Jumper Wires to splitter): Low-profile Inline Controller Dimmer Switch for LED Strip Light, Bare Wire
  4. SAE Line (Primary Run - Power to Rear - 5Meters): 14AWG SAE Connector Extension Cable
  5. SAE Splitter (Primary to SAE Pigtail): SAE Power Connector Cable Y Splitter 1 to 2 SAE Extension Cable
  6. SAE Pigtail (Splitter to LEDs): 2Pack SAE Extension Cable SAE Quick Connector Disconnect Plug
  7. LEDs: Fitted to the easiest reflector cut out (x4, 2 per side): T10 T13 12SMD 3528 RED LED INTERIOR DOME/MAP LIGHT BULB/PANEL
  8. X570 Reflector: I used mounted reflectors: LH Rear Reflector / RH Rear Reflector
General Supplied used where needed
  1. Split Loom - 1/4: 25ft – 1/4 inch Split Wire Loom Tubing Wire Conduit
  2. Dielectric Grease: Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube
  3. Wire Stripper: Wire Stripper / Wire Cutter, Self Adjusting
  4. Connection Option 1 - Soldering Kit (Sample): Soldering Iron Kit - Soldering Iron 60 W Adjustable Temperature, etc etc
  5. Connection Option 2 - Crimp Kit (Sample): 60pcs 10A 15A 24A Fully Insulated Wire Connector Kit
  6. Shrink Tube Kit: 560PCS Heat Shrink Tube Kit with Box(5 colors/12 Sizes)
- Installation: Installation - A Few Pointers
Just light pointers here in this video
  1. The T-Adapter worked awesomely well. Way clean
  2. My Split Loom could have been one size easier just to make it easier to slide on.
  3. Wires from LEDs are thin. But if they break or chaf through I can remove the hatch and replace.
  4. Will get rubber grommets for the pass through hole if the wires wear.
  5. I had a LOT of SAE Primary Run from an old trickle charger, going to get another IP68 in line joiner
    and then cut the run way way down.
Night/Day Test: Garage Light/Dark Test
  1. Controller allows for different flash patterns. I like slow pulse
  2. Looks really good in person

Primary Parts List Video is up.... Primary Parts List Laid Out
Just waiting on my second set of LEDs to arrive so I can solder into the SAE Pigtail, silicon the back of the reflectors, and then can do the install.
Hopefully the LEDs come tomorrow or Sunday so I can have it all done on Sunday.

LED POC Test Video

Primary Parts List Laid Out

Installation - A Few Pointers

Night/Day Test: Garage Light/Dark Test

/ Rear Reflector to LED Taillight Conversion / Upgrade #2  
Hmmm, I may try this on my JD 770 tractor, I've been thinking on this same idea.
Good Job.