Mowing rear dishcharge vs side discharge

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #1  

lilranch2001

Tractor
Bobcat CT 235
I have often wondered what peoples opinions are on these two different dishcharge types.

It seems to me rear dishcharge would give a better distribution of clippings than side dishcharge.

I am beginning to consider buying a rear mower and would like to know if anyone has any experience with both types

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #2  
From what I have read, side discharge is for haying.

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #3  
I let the grass get tall sometimes, side discharge is what I had on Gravely tractors, I had to cut always so the discharge was on the cut side or it would plug constantly. My Kubota withe rear finish mower has the rear discharge and I can go where I need to, also works better when backing up.. that's my story.

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #4  
I have often thought about converting my side discharge to a rear discharge because I think the distribution of the grass would look better. I have read where others have done that but I just have not made up my mind to tackle that yet.

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #5  
Rear discharge is much better than side in my opinion. Don't get windrowing if grass gets tall, can mow in either direction, and easier to keep grass off patios, flower beds, and such.

I have a 60" rd first choice finish mower that I use to mow 3 acres and a Bolens Duratrac GT2000 with 48" rd that we use to mow around house, barn, pool, and other obstacles.

Actually bought the Bolens because I got a good deal and it had 46" snowblower and cab. But I liked the deck so much I ended up getting rid of my CC SLT1554 with sd deck.

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #6  
Rear discharge is much better than side in my opinion. Don't get windrowing if grass gets tall, can mow in either direction, and easier to keep grass off patios, flower beds, and such.

I have a 60" rd first choice finish mower that I use to mow 3 acres and a Bolens Duratrac GT2000 with 48" rd that we use to mow around house, barn, pool, and other obstacles.

Actually bought the Bolens because I got a good deal and it had 46" snowblower and cab. But I liked the deck so much I ended up getting rid of my CC SLT1554 with sd deck.

I also prefer the rear discharge, you can mow tighter regardless of direction of travel. plus i pull a lawn sweeper about every other cutting helps it pick up the grass a bit easier

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #7  
I also prefer the rear discharge, you can mow tighter regardless of direction of travel. plus i pull a lawn sweeper about every other cutting helps it pick up the grass a bit easier

I agree with powergod
That windrowing effect is what I liked about the rear discharge as it was easier to use the lawn sweeper. Aside from that and not having to be concerned which mowing direction, the side discharge distributes the grass more evenly than the rear.

So, six of one, 1/2 dozen of another between the two.

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #8  
I agree with powergod
That windrowing effect is what I liked about the rear discharge as it was easier to use the lawn sweeper. Aside from that and not having to be concerned which mowing direction, the side discharge distributes the grass more evenly than the rear.

So, six of one, 1/2 dozen of another between the two.

I have a side discharge and removed the side chute which really reduced the windrowing effect. With that said if I were able to get a RFM for anywhere near the price i got the side discharge I would have gotten that.

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #9  
rear keeps the clippings off the flower beds and sidewalks...also, don't have to worry about the engine bogging down cutting new grass along with clippings -

/ rear dishcharge vs side discharge #10  
When the rear discharge mowers first came out the didn't work very well. They got a bad reputation bad for leaving windrows while mowing. The newer rear discharge mowers have overcome this.