Rain Bird Solenoid interchangeability experience

/ Rain Bird Solenoid interchangeability experience #1  

al3

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110, X500
IMG_1322.JPG

Resurrecting a lawn system that hasn’t been used in 5 years. So far so good, but one question about interchangeability of Rain Bird Solenoids. There’s a bunch of conflicting info out there.

Need to replace some solenoids, DV 100 control valves. Original P/N is 20858801, aka RPKSOLENOI on Rain Birds site. Lots of local places stock and sell another Rain Bird product, SRKCP or SRKCP/CPF. Some of these stores with web sites (and Amazon) say they’ll work with the older DV series. A call to Rain Bird gets you the phone answering service of the day, with no real knowledge other than what’s on the sheet/screen in front of them. They insist that only the 20858801 will work.

The SRKCP unit has the same form and fit as the OE callout. Both operate on 24V, both perform the same function, both look identical. I measured and couldn’t find any difference. Old one is on the right, extended blue part is a plastic screen I'd removed and didn't reseat all the way.

Anyone with firsthand success or failure in their attempts to substitute a SRKCP solenoid for a RPKSOLENOI?

Last edited:
   / Rain Bird Solenoid interchangeability experience #2  
i never looked at mine when i replaced them. i just went to lowes and picked one that looked the same. has been working for years. i say buy one and test it

/ Rain Bird Solenoid interchangeability experience #3  
You should have no problems substituting the solenoid. The plunger is the only moving part in it, all the rest (and the important parts) are in the valve body.