Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems

/ Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems #11  
I recommend iSpring WGB21B, this whole house water filter works great, installs easily, no leaks. I am very surprised about the difference of water, can drink our water now! My toilet and shower are no longer yellow!

Last edited:
   / Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems #12  
Softener is a must have where we are. The 12 for hardness what scale? Grains is how they measure it here usually. 12 would be pretty hard.

/ Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems #13  
I would like to know how your determining your numbers are bad? If your listening to your salesmen, remember he wants to sell you his system.
I am going to assume that your TDS, & Hardness numbers were measured in PPM (parts per million) or mg/L (milligrams per liter). PPM & mg/L are equal to each other. If this is true, your hardness is 12ppm, which is not hard at all, that is very much so on the soft side. Very soft water can also attack interior plumbing and appliances such as iron or copper. Putting a softener on your home would not correct this problem, in fact only make it worse. Your TDS is alittle on the high side depending on what source its coming from. At our water treatment facility, we have two commercial wells on site and also take in surface water from a near by creek. Both of our wells have a TDS of around 200 which is considered to be on the normal side for ground water vs our surface water that has a TDS of around 100. A precipitation test is obsolete these days because of how inaccurate results usually were because of the amount of variables in the water tested. The only people still using precipitation tests are water treatment system salesmen as a visual test to convince customers that their water was bad and that they needed equipment to improve the quality, although the minerals precipitated are harmless. You did not list what the pH or alkalinity of the tested water was? Low pH water will also attack household plumbing. Alkalinity is the waters ability to resist pH changes. If you want to eliminate the chlorine taste install a whole house carbon filter, but when purchasing make sure you pay attention to the capacity of the filter. Most filters are only rated for so many gallons or months and after that it will begin to re release the taste back into the water.

Did they do a salinity (salt) test on your water from Steve's Plumbing & A/C? If there is a high amount of salinity in the water entering your home its going to taste bad and attack everything metal it touches no matter how perfect your TDS, pH, or hardness is. I mentioned this last cause this is highly unlikely to have salt water since its coming from a treatment facility.

AJ
Licensed Water Treatment operator.
I’m not afraid to drink our tap water but nobody in my house does regularly. We’ve got a Brita in the refrigerator which is enough for everyone to be happy with the water quality.

We have a non-functional instant-hot in the granite counter that I want to remove AND an icemaker accross the kitchen (attached to a sketchy needle valve). I’m thinking that I can probably install a single water filtration device (activated carbon, or maybe Reverse Osmosis) that can feed both a new filtered water tap (replacing broken instant hot) and the icemaker by running hose through the basement to the icemaker. This will double as keeping the icemaker filter fresh too since we will drink the water regularly.

I’m not looking to spend a fortune on this, and especially don’t want to spend too much on filters every year.

This will be my first time ever choosing a water filtration setup, and I’m open to all options.

I also look forward to not worrying about water spilled, fridge door held open, and an empty Brita that I find myself filling multiple times every day.

/ Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems #14  
^^^
The poster you are asking hasn't been here in almost 21/2 years, so I doubt you will get a response.

/ Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems #15  
My water comes from a spring. Been in use since 1892. First by the homesteader and now me.

This spring flows at 350 gpm this time of year. Caused a little sediment but not really objectionable.

I'm most fortunate - the water is of superior quality and never has objectionable tastes or odor.

/ Questions about Whole House Water Filtration Systems
I'm pretty happy with the filtration system I have. But I get city water that I'm happy to filter out whatever they put in it. I also have a Reverse Osmosis next to my kitchen tap for drinking. I miss having well water, but those are the breaks living in the suburbs instead of out in the country.