Rear Finish Mower PTO shaft stuck- What would you do?

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do? #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Hooked up mower to day and just about "gave out" before I got the PTO shaft to slide into place.
It had been difficult the last time and I finally got it apart and oiled/greased.
Today it took some serious hammer pounding to get it separated again.
After more oil/grease it is still very difficult to slide back and forward.
(but I did get it to slide all the way in and out)
I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the inside section in case there is a build up of rust or other foreign matter.
I do not think it is bent, but cannot be sure, since the plastic sleeve keeps the metal covered.

Thanks for any and all suggestions to help this shaft slide easier.

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do? #2  
Try soaking it with diesel or WD40 and sliding the two halves back and forth wet. It may have gotten cruded up with dust and thickened grease. The diesel should dissolve and wash it out. Then let drip dry and re grease.
larry

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do? #3  
If you manage to get it apart, try to get a diesel-soaked rag down in there, wired to the end of a stick or piece of steel. The other thing might be, that the shaft is slightly twisted. I had a twisted shaft on a chipper that I bought. It was done by the previous owner, so I do not know what kind of impact it takes to twist a PTO shaft. I know what it cost to get it replaced tho.:laughing:

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do? #4  
I always store my PTO shaft in two pieces to avoid the inevitable bonding of the two shafts.

PB Blaster is supposed to work well for dissolving crud. Sliding it back and forth should rub the high contact spots smoother.

You may even choose to take off the plastic and sandblast the outside of the interior shaft and the inside of the outside shaft.

Taking it apart and using coarse steel wool like cleaning a gun is also a possibility. Once again, getting the plastic off is important so you have the maximum access.

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do? #5  
Assume you are not speaking about the PTO splined connection and pin into to the tractor PTO but the extensible section?

I havent connected a PTO implement since 1980 but before that time I connected them 100's of times to balers, combines, generators, sickle bar mowers and the extendable shafts had a grease zerk and you could simply slide them apart if needed to clean inside and especially after a year of sitting they need to be cleaned.

If you cant slide them they are bent or rusted - take them apart and grease, clean and straighten is the best solution and if they sit outside do it in fall of the year before winter.

Carl

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do?
Thanks for these quick replies.
After I rest up I'll give them a try.
May take a couple of days, but Ill let you know what transpires.

/ PTO shaft stuck- What would you do? #7  
Thanks for these quick replies.
After I rest up I'll give them a try.
May take a couple of days, but Ill let you know what transpires.
Howd it work out?