PTO no go

/ PTO no go #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Came home from work this evening and thought I'd do a little mowing. Hooked up the hog, got in the feild where I wanted to mow and the pto shaft will not turn. You can turn it by hand and the bushhog turns free and the selector is in 540. The pto just will not engage. I am growing so tired of having to work on a brand new tractor.
Any ideas why it suddenly doesn't work? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ PTO no go #2  
I wonder if there is a solenoid problem with your model as there apparently is with the 10 series. I have had to push the reset button on the solenoid a couple times already.

/ PTO no go
I'm not sure, but I believe the 00 series is different than the 10 series. Mine is actually a lever that engages the clutch.

/ PTO no go #4  
You did use both levers, right? One disengages/engages the PTO clutch and the other, behind it, actually engages the PTO gears.......

/ PTO no go #5  
I know you're mechanically astute but double check your 540/1000 PTO lever to make sure its actually in one of the detents. You might even try it over on the 1000 to see if it works there..... Good Luck/ BobG in VA

/ PTO no go
I've tried the levers in every position possible. Called the dealer and he said he has no idea what would be wrong. He's supposed to call Mahindra to get some idea. Meanwhile I can't do anything but what doesn't take the pto. One thing about it, this definately made up my mind as soon as I can get this thing back in proper working condition I'm gonna try to find it a new home!

/ PTO no go #7  
THERE IS A ELECTRICAL SOLENOID UNDER THE RT SIDE FOOT REST. CHECK TO SEE IF THE GROUND WIRE IS MAKING A GOOD CONNECTION. SECOND TAP ON THE SOLENOID, AS IT MAY FREE UP THE SOLENOID UP. THIRD THERE ARE THREE HEX HEAD PLUGS ON THE FRONT SIDE OF THE SOLENOID, TAKE OUT THE TOP ONE BEING CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE SPRING. PUSH THE SOLENOID BACK WITH A SCREW DRIVER, PUT A SMALL AMOUNT OF LIGHT OIL IN THE HOLE REPLACE THE SPRING & PLUG. THE PTO SHOULD OPERATE. BY THE WAY TRY IT BETWEEN EACH STEP AS ANYONE OF THEM MAY GET IT WORKING. HAVE YOUR DEALER CALL HIS SERVICE REP AND GO OVER THIS REPAIR WITH HIM. IT IS A EASY REPAIR, AND PROBABLY YOUR DEALER IS FAIRLY NEW, OR HE WOULD HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE PROBLEM FROM MAHINDRA. I AM A MAHINDRA DEALER IN BATAVIA NEW YORK, AND I ONLY HAVE HAD ONE TRACTOR WITH THIS PROBLEM, BUT MAHINDRA HAD NOTIFIED US ABOUT HOW TO REPAIR THE PROBLEM. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, FELL FREE TO CALL ME AT 585-343-0770, AND I WILL DO WHAT I CAN TO HELP YOU.
GALEN LAWALL

/ PTO no go
Thanks for your reply glawall. Good to see dealers still give you a little help out there. The dealer I bought from has been at it for years, but only with Mahindra for a couple years. I fixed my problem by adjusting the lever linkage. No thanks to the dealer I might add. I know little things are gonna go wrong with anything mass produced, I just wish the dealer was a little more attentive. I don't like going without a tractor for days or weeks. Each time i've had a problem it's been about 2 weeks to get it addressed. Service sells tractors! Again thanks for your replies!

/ PTO no go #9  
Thanks for your reply glawall. Good to see dealers still give you a little help out there. <font color="blue"> </font> Service sells tractors! Again thanks for your replies!

DITTO!! I'd buy from you in a heartbeat!

/ PTO no go #10  
FWIW, I just received mine about a week ago. Delivery driver demo'ed whatever I asked him. I read the manual and then tried the bush hog. No PTO! Struggled for the longest time trying to figure it out until I triple checked the 540/1000 PTO speed lever just above the PTO shaft. I had pushed it to the 540 position a couple of times but wasn't engaging it, which I didn't find out til about the third try.

Other than that, mine's been a blast so far. Bush hogged two small areas of pasture that had been overrun by weeds. Took the hog off and back on just to see how hard. Took the FEL off yesterday for same. Sure does help visibility to take that thing off. Makes it easier to get between the fence posts too.