PT422 or 425

/ PT422 or 425 #1  

nater

Tractor
Power Trac 422
We have decided to go with the Power Trac 400 series. After driving the big 3 CUTs, they just don't seem to offer the....FUN and versatility that the little Power Trac offers.

Now, the next question is whether to go with the 422 or 425. I understand the engine service area issues, but are there noticable performance differences? How about noise level between the two? Or power? While the $1k difference, after adding the ROPS, isn't that big of a deal, it does allow more attachements to be added. I would really appreciate your advice and insights on this decision. My hope is to order this tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

Nate

/ PT422 or 425 #2  
I've had my PT422 since early April. I have no regrets. The Robin 22 hp engine has plenty of power. I've moved a lot of two to four foot long stones using the forks. On the stones that I can't lift I can usually drag or flip them with the forks and this is the only time I feel the need for full throttle. It is on the loud side but I think most over 20 hp gas motors are. I noticed a similar muffler wrapped with heat resistant insulation in some Power-trac literature. It also seems like some sound absorbing foam padding (similar to whats under the hood in many cars) could be used to line the non-vented parts of the heavy steel motor enclosure. I have a 14 hp Kohler in another machine and it's not much quieter. If you get ROPS on a 422 it will weigh quite a bit more than mine but I think the Robin can still give plenty of power . I haven't looked for service as I do my own but there are fewer places selling Robin parts online than Kohler. I got the Robin tech. manual and parts list books and they are quite useful and not very expensive (from Robin web-site). I think I heard that this year is the second step phase-in of tighter emmision standards for this size of engine. On the Robin web site it sounds like the EH65 engines are a new OHV model. I think you'll be very pleased with any 400 series machine. Good luck. Tom

/ PT422 or 425 #3  
From everything that I've read here there is some debate as to how the two engine companies rate their HP and torque. Every PT422 owner seems very satisfied, so it is now down to your personal preference. And you are right that it leaves you another $500.00 for implements.

As far as the noise level goes, my PT425 is pretty loud at full throttle. And if you put on the 60" mower deck and turn on the PTO the engine makes a primitive ROAR! (Have any of you ever ridden in an airplane with radial engines? It sounds similar) I have to say, I actually like that roar. In the words of Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, "ARUGH RRR RRR!!!".

/ PT422 or 425 #4  
I have had my pt422 for 2 years and almost 400 hours on it to date I have had no problems, it has plenty of power except for climbing steep hills while mowing, then more power would be nice. As far as service issues go I have a local dealer who is a service center for both robin and kohler.

/ PT422 or 425 #5  
I have researched this some myself and find the main differences to be:

- Availability of Service/Parts: Kohler has much better coverage
- Power when mowing: per PT, the Kohler is a must have if using the 60” deck on hills. Otherwise, no problem with the Robin.
- Reliability: no difference per PT service
- Longevity: Kohler uses some type of special coating process that they claim enhances cylinder life
- Exhaust Exit: Robin is out the side and Kohler is out the rear
- Resale: Kohler is more widely known

<font color=green> any of you ever ridden in an airplane with radial engines? </font color=green>

Two years ago I took a ride in a B-17. Now THAT I will never forget.

/ PT422 or 425 #6  
I worked at the local airports for 7 years after high school. I had a chance to ride in a B17 about 15 years ago. I passed so that one of my employees could go up in it. Glad I did, because they landed hard and sent the tail wheel through the rear end!

/ PT422 or 425 #7  
I think the service for the engine will be the big question, were can you get it?

KCook