Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with.

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with. #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
Make some progress on my new G1900. Found the hot wire from the battery to the regulator had got hot, arc'd and melted the connector to the regulator. The male side of the connection was broke off and sparking and getting very hot as even the insulation on each side was burnt. I hard wired this around the connector for now. She still overcharges to the tune of 15.5 volts at mid throttle. I suspect all the high amp and intermitten contact blew the regulator. So I will order up a new one to replace it. Looks like a fun job to get to where its mounted. I solved the fuel leaks, replacing the 2 O rings on each injector element and putting them back into the pump body in the exact position they came out along with a new electric fuel pump to replace the original one that was dead. Once she was back together and running, I swapped my bar tires in for the worn and worthless turf tires. New front tires are planned, probably Verderstien 5 rib or Goodyear tri rib. Turfs are no fun to clean of packed mud after a plowing even. Now if only I could find the factory 3 point hitch!! Guess I will put a Johnny bucket products electric lift sleeve hitch on her. But if you have the complete cat 0 3pt hitch to sell, please let me know. Something to move snow is also on my need list. Baby steps, warmer weather will gain much more progress of restoring this old girl. Mike

kubotaags1.jpg

Kubotaags.jpg

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with. #2  
Nice looking tractor & project, please keep us posted!
I wish my good old 1976 John Deere 300 was also a Diesel.

Make some progress on my new G1900. ...................zip..................... I solved the fuel leaks, replacing the 2 O rings on each injector element and putting them back into the pump body in the exact position they came out .............zip............... Mike

Are you talking about these O-rings in the delivery valves?

If you are, I have the same issue in my V1304 4-cylinder engine in my F3060 mower.

As far as I understand, in this type of injection pump the amount of fuel delivery is adjusted by slightly rotating the delivery valve, before locking it in place (please correct me if there is more to it?).

Have you operated the engine much since after the O-ring replacement - if so, any issues with fuel delivery IE. visible excess smoke or other issues?

I could easily remove the pump and send to Diesel injection pump shop, but just trying to keep down the cost!

Any help or positive suggestions will be appreciated.

These are not photos of my engine, just something I found online:

20151002_223401.jpg D722 delivery valve O-rings.jpg Snap 2017-11-19 at 09.02.47.jpg

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with.
Yep, those are the leaking O rings. I just picked up a cheap metric set of O rings at Harbor Freight and swapped them out carefully one at a time, making sure each unit went back in exactly in the same position it was originally in. The light twist movement they have controls flow rate to balance the pump. With those and a new overflow line from the rear injector to the pump body, the leaks are gone. Today I took the dash apart, tightened up loose connectors, fitted a plastic sleeve over the stop pins on the fuel and temp as the needles wanted to "stick" to them. I also cleaned everything up and polished the plastic lense for the dash. Now both my gauges work as they should. I ran her up to PTO rpm for the first time today and brought the mower deck up to speed. not to bad, bearings are decent for another year or two. I will go thru and regrease everything before we get to mowing season. Next up is to remove the deck, so I can remove the drive shaft to replace the worn rear yoke on the hydro pump its rattling and wore out, U joint is new but the yoke itself is shot. That part isnt gonna be cheap, but its needed before things fly apart or more damage is done.

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with. #4  
I hope the mid PTO output shaft is still OK and not worn out due to a loose yoke - those parts are little spendy!

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with. #5  
Working on taking out my main driveshaft now. Got it totally unbolted but having some trouble getting it out. I might have to take off the floor sheet metal. Any tips?

I have 4 of these tractors in all different variations. I've owned my main g1900S for about 20 years.

I did have to buy a mid PTO shaft recently(just the short part that connects to the tractor)....yes its very pricey.

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with. #6  
Need to remove just the fender sheet metal and unbolt the main sheet metal. Then you have to remove a small frame brace. I just did it twice because I had to remove the shaft off of my parts mower.

/ Progress on my new G1900, but still a couple nagging issues to deal with. #7  
Yes, those middle mount mower driveshaft / gearbox setups are nice but expensive to repair if worn out.

The long MMM belt drive on my old John Deere 300 sometimes bugs me, but on the plus side at least the belt can be more or less replaced without tools & in the dark if need be. Just kidding, I don't need to mow in the dark.

I have lost a brand new belt during first mowing when a wooden stick got stuck in a wrong place and by the time I noticed, it was too late!

Both setups have their pros and cons.

Cheers