Procedure for changing 8N clutch?

/ Procedure for changing 8N clutch? #1  

not2sharpokie

Just purchased a 1952 8n, and the mechanic said several things wrong, overfilling with hydraulics being one of them. He said he needed to "break the tractor apart and split" right below the battery and look at the clutch and replace if necessary.

I went back to his shop, he explained all that he did (replacing the clutch, generator, etc) and charged me $700. When I got home, my father noticed that the casing hadn't been split at all. In several places, you could tell the bolts weren't touched and the grease had been in the seam for years.

I guess my question is, "Is there a way to get at the clutch without separating the case? I haven't heard of one from two local mechanics, but thought the community may know. Perhaps just the excess fluid was drained (2.5 gallons) and nothing else done. Or it was done properly and we have too little experience to determine.

Thanks

/ Procedure for changing 8N clutch? #2  
Depends on where you're looking. There's a couple places to split an 8n. Directly beneath the battery is one, just in front of the seat is another. Personally, I always request the old parts when something's replaced just to make sure.

/ Procedure for changing 8N clutch?
I think the consensus on the block is that some of the bolts were wiped off with a rag to give the appearance of splitting the case (below the battery as he said). Numerous areas around the case indicate that he didn't perform the work. You are correct, I should have asked for used parts. He gave me a vivid description of the worn out clutch, but nothing I could see. The problem is that the clutch was working fine, just that both mechanics told me the overflow of hydraulic fluid would ruin the pad, so might as well replace.

Everything on the outside appears as though he performed the other work (I can see the parts). He said he replaced one hub, is there a way to visually verify without taking off the wheel?

/ Procedure for changing 8N clutch? #4  
If you've got a borescope, or know someone with a borescope, you can remove the starter, and then look inside the bellhousing at the clutch... you won't be able to see the clutch disk, but you will be able to look at the outside of the pressure plate, and all the bolts, etc inside... if they're all covered with dust from the clutch and a fine film of oil from years of operation..., chances are pretty good that you got ripped off big time... If everything inside there looks shiny clean and brand new, then I'd say that he did the work.

As far as oil getting into the clutch, if that is happening, it's because transmission input shaft seal is leaking, not because the transmission is overfilled, although that may have happened also.

As far as the hub, the best way would be to remove the wheel, and look inside the brake drum... again, you're looking for shiny clean (or reasonably so) parts... Remember though, with the hub, you've got a 55 year old tractor, and I'm not sure if you can get new hubs or not... it might be a salvage part... but still, it should be cleaner than the rest of the area if it was changed... you should see signs of recent activity in there. If you don't, well...

Good luck with it...

/ Procedure for changing 8N clutch? #5  
Hubs are readilly available.. CNH, YTMAG, just8ns.. etc. I could probably look in my favorites and list 50 more places to get hubs.. all new/repro...

No reason to use a salvaged hub..

soundguy